Charges framed against Ansari in arms haul case
Ahmedabad: Charges were framed today against Aftab Ansari in connection with the 2001 arms and ammunition haul case at Radhanpur in a Special CBI Court here.
The charges were framed against the master mind of 2002 attack on American Centre in Kolkata, in the Special CBI Court of Judge RM Parmar under section 120-B of IPC, Section 25 (1) AA of Arms Act and Section 5 of Explosives Act.
Ansari, who yesterday had plea bargained in court seeking exemption from trial, on Thursday, made a u-turn and demanded that he now wanted a trial in the case.
He also filed an application in the court requesting permission for appearance through video conferencing.
The next hearing in case has been fixed for May 10, when his application would come up for consideration.
According to case details, a huge cache of arms and ammunitions was recovered by the police from Radhanpur in Patan district of Gujarat in October 2001 that included four AK-56 assault rifles, six magazines of AK-56, over 500 live bullets, and 250 pistol bullets amongst others.
Four persons were arrested in the case against whom trial was conducted and were sentenced to 10 years in prison.
Ansari, one Adam Cheema and Akhtab Ahmed were absconding in the case but Ansari was arrested in Kolkata in 2002 in connection with attack on American Centre there where six policemen were killed and later sentenced to death by a trial court in Kolkata.
The sentence was confirmed by the Kolkata High court but his appeal is pending in the Supreme Court which has stayed the death sentence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram on July 30