Charges framed against Ansari in arms haul case
Ahmedabad: Charges were framed today against Aftab Ansari in connection with the 2001 arms and ammunition haul case at Radhanpur in a Special CBI Court here.
The charges were framed against the master mind of 2002 attack on American Centre in Kolkata, in the Special CBI Court of Judge RM Parmar under section 120-B of IPC, Section 25 (1) AA of Arms Act and Section 5 of Explosives Act.
Ansari, who yesterday had plea bargained in court seeking exemption from trial, on Thursday, made a u-turn and demanded that he now wanted a trial in the case.
He also filed an application in the court requesting permission for appearance through video conferencing.
The next hearing in case has been fixed for May 10, when his application would come up for consideration.
According to case details, a huge cache of arms and ammunitions was recovered by the police from Radhanpur in Patan district of Gujarat in October 2001 that included four AK-56 assault rifles, six magazines of AK-56, over 500 live bullets, and 250 pistol bullets amongst others.
Four persons were arrested in the case against whom trial was conducted and were sentenced to 10 years in prison.
Ansari, one Adam Cheema and Akhtab Ahmed were absconding in the case but Ansari was arrested in Kolkata in 2002 in connection with attack on American Centre there where six policemen were killed and later sentenced to death by a trial court in Kolkata.
The sentence was confirmed by the Kolkata High court but his appeal is pending in the Supreme Court which has stayed the death sentence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi