Charges framed against Ansari in arms haul case
Ahmedabad: Charges were framed today against Aftab Ansari in connection with the 2001 arms and ammunition haul case at Radhanpur in a Special CBI Court here.
The charges were framed against the master mind of 2002 attack on American Centre in Kolkata, in the Special CBI Court of Judge RM Parmar under section 120-B of IPC, Section 25 (1) AA of Arms Act and Section 5 of Explosives Act.
Ansari, who yesterday had plea bargained in court seeking exemption from trial, on Thursday, made a u-turn and demanded that he now wanted a trial in the case.
He also filed an application in the court requesting permission for appearance through video conferencing.
The next hearing in case has been fixed for May 10, when his application would come up for consideration.
According to case details, a huge cache of arms and ammunitions was recovered by the police from Radhanpur in Patan district of Gujarat in October 2001 that included four AK-56 assault rifles, six magazines of AK-56, over 500 live bullets, and 250 pistol bullets amongst others.
Four persons were arrested in the case against whom trial was conducted and were sentenced to 10 years in prison.
Ansari, one Adam Cheema and Akhtab Ahmed were absconding in the case but Ansari was arrested in Kolkata in 2002 in connection with attack on American Centre there where six policemen were killed and later sentenced to death by a trial court in Kolkata.
The sentence was confirmed by the Kolkata High court but his appeal is pending in the Supreme Court which has stayed the death sentence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Post Uri attack, India strengthens border surveillance along LOC
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray