Chargesheeted by Guj Govt, Sharma approaches CAT
Ahmedabad: IPS officer Rahul Sharma has
approached Central Administrative Tribunal (CAT) against the
Gujarat government slapping him with a charge sheet for
allegedly not submitting a documentary evidence related to the
2002 riots in the state.
The Gujarat government had chargesheeted Sharma on August
13 for alleged misconduct in not submitting the original CDs
containing mobile phone call records related to the 2002
communal riots to the respective investigating officers of
Naroda Gam, Naroda Patia and Gulburg society cases or even to
his supervisory officers.
"I have approached CAT against the charge sheet issued to
me by the state government," Sharma told PTI, adding that the
hearing of the case will be held on September 15.
In the charge sheet, Sharma has been accused of gross
misconduct under Sec 3(1) of All India Service Rules 1969.
Sharma had acquired the call records from two mobile phone
service providers AT &T and Cell Force, which were operating
in Gujarat in 2002.
It is learnt that Sharma in his petition before CAT has
challenged the charge sheet saying that he had sent the CDs
through a police messenger of the crime branch to the then
chief of crime branch P P Pandey.
He has also said in his petition that the charge sheet is
not tenable as he had just tried to help the Nanavati
Commission, appointed by the state government to probe the
Sharma was serving as Deputy Commissioner of Police
(Control), Ahmedabad from March 24, 2002 to July 3, 2002 and
assisted the city crime branch in the investigation of the
He had prepared a CD of mobile phone call records of
ministers, politicians, police officers and bureaucrats
between February 29, 2002 and March 2, 2002 by obtaining
mobile call records from Mobile service provider companies.
The state government in the charge sheet has accused him
of taking away the CDs which should have been part of the
Sharma had later submitted the CDs before the Nanavati
Commission and the U C Banerjee Commission set up by the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read