Chargesheeted by Guj Govt, Sharma approaches CAT
Ahmedabad: IPS officer Rahul Sharma has
approached Central Administrative Tribunal (CAT) against the
Gujarat government slapping him with a charge sheet for
allegedly not submitting a documentary evidence related to the
2002 riots in the state.
The Gujarat government had chargesheeted Sharma on August
13 for alleged misconduct in not submitting the original CDs
containing mobile phone call records related to the 2002
communal riots to the respective investigating officers of
Naroda Gam, Naroda Patia and Gulburg society cases or even to
his supervisory officers.
"I have approached CAT against the charge sheet issued to
me by the state government," Sharma told PTI, adding that the
hearing of the case will be held on September 15.
In the charge sheet, Sharma has been accused of gross
misconduct under Sec 3(1) of All India Service Rules 1969.
Sharma had acquired the call records from two mobile phone
service providers AT &T and Cell Force, which were operating
in Gujarat in 2002.
It is learnt that Sharma in his petition before CAT has
challenged the charge sheet saying that he had sent the CDs
through a police messenger of the crime branch to the then
chief of crime branch P P Pandey.
He has also said in his petition that the charge sheet is
not tenable as he had just tried to help the Nanavati
Commission, appointed by the state government to probe the
Sharma was serving as Deputy Commissioner of Police
(Control), Ahmedabad from March 24, 2002 to July 3, 2002 and
assisted the city crime branch in the investigation of the
He had prepared a CD of mobile phone call records of
ministers, politicians, police officers and bureaucrats
between February 29, 2002 and March 2, 2002 by obtaining
mobile call records from Mobile service provider companies.
The state government in the charge sheet has accused him
of taking away the CDs which should have been part of the
Sharma had later submitted the CDs before the Nanavati
Commission and the U C Banerjee Commission set up by the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group launches 'Asha 2022' affordable housing scheme
- Soldier buried under avalanche found alive at Siachen glacier
- PM Modi praises Ekal Vidyalaya Foundation, deems mission successful
- Does religion teach gender discrimination?
- Panel discussion on detention of goat for grazing in bureaucrat's garden
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Deepika Padukone, Vin Diesel in first ‘xXx: The Return of Xander Cage’ video – Watch
- Siachen miracle: Lance Naik Koppad's wife terms her husband's 'news of being alive' as 'rebirth for family'
- How Lance Naik Hanumanthappa survived 6 days below 25 feet of snow in Siachen
- See pic: Call for further study after discovery of baboon-like creature on Mars!