Children release manifesto of their demands ahead of LS polls
Ahmedabad: Ahead of the Lok Sabha elections, 64 children from eight districts of Gujarat today put out a `manifesto` of their demands.
The initiative was organised by NGO Child Rights Collective Group, Gujarat.
The manifesto was presented to representatives of all major political parties.
Reading from the manifesto, Anandi Ayer (11) from Radhanpur, said, "Girls` education must be made mandatory ....Punitive action should be taken against the parents who do not send their girls to school. Incentives like job guarantee should be given to parents in rural areas who educate their girls."
"In villages, government should provide transportation facilities so that children can easily commute to schools. In RTE (Right To Education Act), special provisions should be made for differently-abled children," said Khushbu Chuahan (14) from Radhanpur.
"There is a lack of schools in coastal areas, deserts and hilly areas....Schools should be available within the radius of 5 km. There should at least one teacher for every 30 students," Khushbu said.
"Children should actively participate in the school management committee," said Isha Shekh (13) from Bhavnagar.
"Children have their own identity, they should not be known through their relatives or teachers. An identity card like Aadhar should be made for children. Not all the children are born in hospitals, so they must be given such a card which includes all basic details about them.
"Children`s participation is also needed in local bodies like gram panchayat....A `baal sabha` should be working in each village of Gujarat," she said.
"There should be sufficient facilities of water and sanitation in each school," said Akash (11) from Bhavnagar.
"We feel that children should take initiatives for the implementation of Right To Education Act," said Falgun Seth, convener of Child Rights Collective Group.
"Children of salt-pan workers, fishermen and denotified tribes should be given special privileges in the RTE," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok