Children release manifesto of their demands ahead of LS polls
Ahmedabad: Ahead of the Lok Sabha elections, 64 children from eight districts of Gujarat today put out a `manifesto` of their demands.
The initiative was organised by NGO Child Rights Collective Group, Gujarat.
The manifesto was presented to representatives of all major political parties.
Reading from the manifesto, Anandi Ayer (11) from Radhanpur, said, "Girls` education must be made mandatory ....Punitive action should be taken against the parents who do not send their girls to school. Incentives like job guarantee should be given to parents in rural areas who educate their girls."
"In villages, government should provide transportation facilities so that children can easily commute to schools. In RTE (Right To Education Act), special provisions should be made for differently-abled children," said Khushbu Chuahan (14) from Radhanpur.
"There is a lack of schools in coastal areas, deserts and hilly areas....Schools should be available within the radius of 5 km. There should at least one teacher for every 30 students," Khushbu said.
"Children should actively participate in the school management committee," said Isha Shekh (13) from Bhavnagar.
"Children have their own identity, they should not be known through their relatives or teachers. An identity card like Aadhar should be made for children. Not all the children are born in hospitals, so they must be given such a card which includes all basic details about them.
"Children`s participation is also needed in local bodies like gram panchayat....A `baal sabha` should be working in each village of Gujarat," she said.
"There should be sufficient facilities of water and sanitation in each school," said Akash (11) from Bhavnagar.
"We feel that children should take initiatives for the implementation of Right To Education Act," said Falgun Seth, convener of Child Rights Collective Group.
"Children of salt-pan workers, fishermen and denotified tribes should be given special privileges in the RTE," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena Bora murder: Here's how the whole plan unfolded
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them