CM Narendra Modi launches Gujarat State Nutrition
Gandhinagar: Drawing ire for attributing Gujarat`s high rate of malnutrition to young "beauty conscious" girls, Chief Minister Narendra Modi Tuesday launched the `Gujarat State Nutrition Mission (GSNM)`, offering financial aid to village panchayats to combat the problem.
Aimed at combating malnutrition in Gujarat, the mission got off to a symbolic start with the chief minister distributing cheques of Rs 2 lakh each to headmen of a few panchayats out of around 18,392 panchayats in Gujarat, as per official estimates.
"Financial aid will be provided to panchayats keeping in view the number of malnourished children in their villages. The prime minister had expressed concerns on malnutrition. I respect his concern on the issue as it is a national problem. Gujarat today has taken the first step in this direction," Modi said, addressing a large gathering of sarpanches here.
In a recent interview carried in The Wall Street Journal, Modi had stated that the middle class is more beauty conscious than health-conscious, and he came under fire after women groups and opposition parties termed it as an insult to young girls in Gujarat.
As per India?s National Family Health Survey data of 2005-2006, some 52 per cent of Gujarat`s children under five years old were stunted, or too short for their age, compared to 56 per cent in Bihar, 44 per cent in Karnataka, 31 per cent in Tamil Nadu and 25 per cent in Kerala.
Anaemia is also a major problem in Gujarat, especially among women and children.
Among children between six and 59 months, 70 per cent were anaemic. Some 55 per cent of Gujarati women are anaemic, according to the survey.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Son of Kota Central jail prisoner clears IIT entrance exam
- Cabinet approves Act allowing malls, restaurants, theaters to stay open 24×7
- New framework that can predict terrorist attacks developed!
- Actor Irrfan Khan stirs controversy over statement on Ramadan rituals
- Is triple divorce system an infringement of the Indian Constitution?
- Ruias plan to sell another 25% stake in Essar Oil
- Microsoft CEO Nadella's debut book to come out in 2017
- Urvashi Rautela gives 'Resham Ka Rumaal' a sexy twist in 'Great Grand Masti' – Watch here
- Delhi Court frees Ex-DUSU President on a 2004 complaint by professor
- Daddy's girl! Bipasha Basu showers birthday wishes on papa dearest! – View pic