CM Narendra Modi launches Gujarat State Nutrition
Gandhinagar: Drawing ire for attributing Gujarat`s high rate of malnutrition to young "beauty conscious" girls, Chief Minister Narendra Modi Tuesday launched the `Gujarat State Nutrition Mission (GSNM)`, offering financial aid to village panchayats to combat the problem.
Aimed at combating malnutrition in Gujarat, the mission got off to a symbolic start with the chief minister distributing cheques of Rs 2 lakh each to headmen of a few panchayats out of around 18,392 panchayats in Gujarat, as per official estimates.
"Financial aid will be provided to panchayats keeping in view the number of malnourished children in their villages. The prime minister had expressed concerns on malnutrition. I respect his concern on the issue as it is a national problem. Gujarat today has taken the first step in this direction," Modi said, addressing a large gathering of sarpanches here.
In a recent interview carried in The Wall Street Journal, Modi had stated that the middle class is more beauty conscious than health-conscious, and he came under fire after women groups and opposition parties termed it as an insult to young girls in Gujarat.
As per India?s National Family Health Survey data of 2005-2006, some 52 per cent of Gujarat`s children under five years old were stunted, or too short for their age, compared to 56 per cent in Bihar, 44 per cent in Karnataka, 31 per cent in Tamil Nadu and 25 per cent in Kerala.
Anaemia is also a major problem in Gujarat, especially among women and children.
Among children between six and 59 months, 70 per cent were anaemic. Some 55 per cent of Gujarati women are anaemic, according to the survey.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM