CM Narendra Modi launches Gujarat State Nutrition
Gandhinagar: Drawing ire for attributing Gujarat`s high rate of malnutrition to young "beauty conscious" girls, Chief Minister Narendra Modi Tuesday launched the `Gujarat State Nutrition Mission (GSNM)`, offering financial aid to village panchayats to combat the problem.
Aimed at combating malnutrition in Gujarat, the mission got off to a symbolic start with the chief minister distributing cheques of Rs 2 lakh each to headmen of a few panchayats out of around 18,392 panchayats in Gujarat, as per official estimates.
"Financial aid will be provided to panchayats keeping in view the number of malnourished children in their villages. The prime minister had expressed concerns on malnutrition. I respect his concern on the issue as it is a national problem. Gujarat today has taken the first step in this direction," Modi said, addressing a large gathering of sarpanches here.
In a recent interview carried in The Wall Street Journal, Modi had stated that the middle class is more beauty conscious than health-conscious, and he came under fire after women groups and opposition parties termed it as an insult to young girls in Gujarat.
As per India?s National Family Health Survey data of 2005-2006, some 52 per cent of Gujarat`s children under five years old were stunted, or too short for their age, compared to 56 per cent in Bihar, 44 per cent in Karnataka, 31 per cent in Tamil Nadu and 25 per cent in Kerala.
Anaemia is also a major problem in Gujarat, especially among women and children.
Among children between six and 59 months, 70 per cent were anaemic. Some 55 per cent of Gujarati women are anaemic, according to the survey.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Shocking CCTV footage of a woman assaulting her mother-in-law
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Mumbai police to probe if RK Singh's claims on Dawood Ibrahim substantiated
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Sheena Bora murder case: When Indrani Mukerjea broke down during questioning
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past