Commission hints at summoning Gujarat CM
Ahmedabad: The GT Nanavati and Akshay Mehta
judicial inquiry commission, probing the 2002 Godhra riots,
today hinted that Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi could
also be summoned for cross-examination.
Talking to advocates, present during the testimony of two
Gujarat cadre senior officials before the commission on Monday,
Justice Nanavati hinted at a possibility of summoning Modi.
The two senior officials, who today testified before the
commission for the first time, included former (in 2002)
Additional Principal Secretary in Chief Minister Office Anil
Mukim and former secretary in Gujarat Home Ministry K
The commission has also summoned former Gujarat Health
Minister IK Jadeja to testify before it on September 5.
Saying that he was eager to wind up proceedings of the
commission at the earliest, justice Nanavati told a lawyer,
"Now, Mr Narendra Modi remains to be summoned after the then
Health Minister IK Jadeja."
Earlier, lawyer-activist Mukul Sinha of Jan Sangharsh
Manch, an NGO representing riot victims, had demanded
summoning of Modi and several other senior police and
administrative officials for cross-examination, including
former Minister of state for Home Gordhan Zadafiya.
While Zadafiya was summoned for an `in camera`
representation only before the commission members, the
commission had deferred the decision on summoning Gujarat CM.
A petition seeking a direction to the commission to
summon Modi is pending before the Gujarat High Court.
Earlier, Modi was questioned by special investigation
team (SIT) appointed by the Supreme Court on March 28, 2010.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President Mukherjee inspect International Fleet Review at Vishakhapatnam
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- Was Divyansh sexually assaulted and then murdered?
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Ryan child death: Sexual assault allegations should be probed, says Manish Sisodia
- Not Delhi, but Varanasi and Muzaffarpur the most polluted cities in India
- 'Bajirao Mastani' still galloping at box office, mints Rs 350 cr!
- 5 homemade fruit packs that’ll make you glow instantly