Commission hints at summoning Gujarat CM
Ahmedabad: The GT Nanavati and Akshay Mehta
judicial inquiry commission, probing the 2002 Godhra riots,
today hinted that Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi could
also be summoned for cross-examination.
Talking to advocates, present during the testimony of two
Gujarat cadre senior officials before the commission on Monday,
Justice Nanavati hinted at a possibility of summoning Modi.
The two senior officials, who today testified before the
commission for the first time, included former (in 2002)
Additional Principal Secretary in Chief Minister Office Anil
Mukim and former secretary in Gujarat Home Ministry K
The commission has also summoned former Gujarat Health
Minister IK Jadeja to testify before it on September 5.
Saying that he was eager to wind up proceedings of the
commission at the earliest, justice Nanavati told a lawyer,
"Now, Mr Narendra Modi remains to be summoned after the then
Health Minister IK Jadeja."
Earlier, lawyer-activist Mukul Sinha of Jan Sangharsh
Manch, an NGO representing riot victims, had demanded
summoning of Modi and several other senior police and
administrative officials for cross-examination, including
former Minister of state for Home Gordhan Zadafiya.
While Zadafiya was summoned for an `in camera`
representation only before the commission members, the
commission had deferred the decision on summoning Gujarat CM.
A petition seeking a direction to the commission to
summon Modi is pending before the Gujarat High Court.
Earlier, Modi was questioned by special investigation
team (SIT) appointed by the Supreme Court on March 28, 2010.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Former CM Panneerselvam demands secret voting in Tamil Nadu Assembly
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Exclusive: In conversation with Rajnath Singh, Union Home Minister
- DMK, Congress will vote against government formation in Tamil Nadu
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- Pakistan Senate passes Hindu Marriage Bill
- This video of Brett Lee's 143m six is taking internet by storm – Watch Video
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley