Commission hints at summoning Gujarat CM
Ahmedabad: The GT Nanavati and Akshay Mehta
judicial inquiry commission, probing the 2002 Godhra riots,
today hinted that Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi could
also be summoned for cross-examination.
Talking to advocates, present during the testimony of two
Gujarat cadre senior officials before the commission on Monday,
Justice Nanavati hinted at a possibility of summoning Modi.
The two senior officials, who today testified before the
commission for the first time, included former (in 2002)
Additional Principal Secretary in Chief Minister Office Anil
Mukim and former secretary in Gujarat Home Ministry K
The commission has also summoned former Gujarat Health
Minister IK Jadeja to testify before it on September 5.
Saying that he was eager to wind up proceedings of the
commission at the earliest, justice Nanavati told a lawyer,
"Now, Mr Narendra Modi remains to be summoned after the then
Health Minister IK Jadeja."
Earlier, lawyer-activist Mukul Sinha of Jan Sangharsh
Manch, an NGO representing riot victims, had demanded
summoning of Modi and several other senior police and
administrative officials for cross-examination, including
former Minister of state for Home Gordhan Zadafiya.
While Zadafiya was summoned for an `in camera`
representation only before the commission members, the
commission had deferred the decision on summoning Gujarat CM.
A petition seeking a direction to the commission to
summon Modi is pending before the Gujarat High Court.
Earlier, Modi was questioned by special investigation
team (SIT) appointed by the Supreme Court on March 28, 2010.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan