Committee to investigate Sabarmati jail tunnel case
Ahmedabad: A three-member committee would probe the alleged attempt by Ahmedabad serial blasts accused to dig a tunnel inside Sabarmati Central Jail for escaping.
Additional Chief Secretary (Home) S K Nanda told PTI that the three-member state-level committee, comprising officials from police administration, general administration and Forensic Science Laboratory (FSL), will look into the various reports submitted till now and study suggestions therein.
"Reports have been submitted by jail administration, police, FSL and Anti Terrorism Squad," Nanda said.
The committee would submit a final report, which will also contain suggestions for strengthening the security inside the jail.
He said there was no collusion between the 14 under-trials who were digging the tunnel and the jail officials, but there was laxity and negligence.
"The committee will probe the level of negligence, factors leading to negligence and provide suggestions regarding how these factors can be obliterated," he said.
Meanwhile, another jail official has been suspended for negligence. "Jailor D H Vankar has also been suspended for laxity," Nanda said. Junior Jail Superintendent D K Parmar was suspended earlier.
The Detection of Crime Branch (DCB), which is probing the incident, had hinted at flawed patrolling inside the jail.
Fourteen accused of Ahmedabad serial blasts case, lodged in Sabarmati jail, were found to have dug 16.5 feet deep and 26.5 feet wide tunnel from barrack No 4, in a bid to escape. It came to light last week.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog