Compulsory voting is `autocracy,` says Digvijay Singh
Vadodara: Compulsory voting is nothing but
autocracy, said Congress general secretary and former Chief
Minister of Madhya Pradesh Digvijay Singh here.
Talking to PTI here late last night, Digvijay Singh
asked, "How can you make it compulsory when it is voluntary
and it is against the spirit of fundamental rights enshrined
in the Constitution?"
What about those defaulters not casting their votes due
to various reasons including marriages, out of city, poor
health, going abroad etc which are not spelt out, he said.
According to the Congress leader, Constitution has given
all citizens a right to vote but it does not allow voting to
be made compulsory.
Singh was here on a private visit to attend a marriage
ceremony in the city.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan chased by a tiger!
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Christian group claims that the world will be 'annihilated' today!