Cong downplays bail to Shah, accuses BJP of double standards
New Delhi: Congress downplayed the bail granted to Amit Shah in Sohrabuddin Sheikh fake encounter case, saying it was an issue among the former Gujarat minister, the court and the CBI, but accused the BJP of having double standards on the investigating agency.
"The issue (fake encounter case) is between the former home minister, court and the CBI...The court will decide who is innocent and who is guilty," party spokesman Manish Tewari told reporters here.
He said the case was registered against Shah after a PIL at the direction of the Supreme Court.
Tewari, however, lashed out at the "double standards" of the BJP on the CBI, saying while in the case of slain former home minister Haren Pandya the party had one standard, it had another in the case of Shah.
"The father of Pandya has raised questions about the probe into his death. But the BJP held that the CBI was good in that case. In the case of Amit Shah, the BJP is questioning
the role of CBI. I think the BJP needs to eschew double standards and have one stand for the CBI," the spokesman said.
The Gujarat High Court earlier granted bail to 46-year old Shah on a personal bond of Rs 1 lakh and a condition that he will have to appear before the CBI`s Mumbai office every
month as the case is registered there.
The former state minister was arrested by the CBI on July 25 and he has spent over three months in the Sabarmati jail.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister