Cong promises free laptops to students in poll-bound Gujarat
Ahmedabad/Rajkot: Continuing with poll promises in the election-bound state, Congress on Tuesday announced it would provide free laptops to every student in Gujarat after class XII.
The party has also promised to "overhaul" the eduction sector in the state, saying that Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi had ruined the education system in the last 10 years.
Congress has also promised reservation in private schools for poor students and 30 per cent fee concession to them.
"If Congress comes to power in the next Assembly elections, we will provide free laptops, build hostels for students in cities, build sports complexes in every taluka of the state and set up a university in tribal areas of the state," Congress president Arjun Modhvadia said announcing sixth point of "Gujarat People Development Vision-2012".
"The Congress will also ask private and self-finance schools and colleges to keep reservation for poor students, form a fund called `Vidhya Nidhi`, from which they will be given fee concessions of 30 per cent to study in private schools. No schools without playground or library will be given approval," Modhvadia said.
Earlier, Congress has promised houses to poor and middle- class housewives at concessional rates in urban areas and a plot of land to poor and middle-class women in rural areas.
"In the last 17 years of the BJP rule, the party has turned education into business in the state by promoting institutes in the name of self-finance colleges, where fees are too high and common man cannot afford to educate their children," Vaghela, who is heading the campaign committee of the state Congress, said.
Announcing sixth point of Congress` "Gujarat People Development Vision-2012" former Gujarat deputy chief minister Narhari Amin today said in Rajkot that Congress has planned several schemes to improve the level of education in Gujarat, "which has been ruined by Modi government`s mismanagement".
Congress will also set up `Gujarat Olympic Academy` (GOA) to produce world-class players and will appoint best coaches in GOA, Amin said.
From tomorrow (Teachers day) Congress would launch a twenty-day drive under `Save Education` and hold various awareness programmes on college campus "to create awareness about Modi government`s failure in improving education in the state," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India