Cong promises free laptops to students in poll-bound Gujarat
Ahmedabad/Rajkot: Continuing with poll promises in the election-bound state, Congress on Tuesday announced it would provide free laptops to every student in Gujarat after class XII.
The party has also promised to "overhaul" the eduction sector in the state, saying that Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi had ruined the education system in the last 10 years.
Congress has also promised reservation in private schools for poor students and 30 per cent fee concession to them.
"If Congress comes to power in the next Assembly elections, we will provide free laptops, build hostels for students in cities, build sports complexes in every taluka of the state and set up a university in tribal areas of the state," Congress president Arjun Modhvadia said announcing sixth point of "Gujarat People Development Vision-2012".
"The Congress will also ask private and self-finance schools and colleges to keep reservation for poor students, form a fund called `Vidhya Nidhi`, from which they will be given fee concessions of 30 per cent to study in private schools. No schools without playground or library will be given approval," Modhvadia said.
Earlier, Congress has promised houses to poor and middle- class housewives at concessional rates in urban areas and a plot of land to poor and middle-class women in rural areas.
"In the last 17 years of the BJP rule, the party has turned education into business in the state by promoting institutes in the name of self-finance colleges, where fees are too high and common man cannot afford to educate their children," Vaghela, who is heading the campaign committee of the state Congress, said.
Announcing sixth point of Congress` "Gujarat People Development Vision-2012" former Gujarat deputy chief minister Narhari Amin today said in Rajkot that Congress has planned several schemes to improve the level of education in Gujarat, "which has been ruined by Modi government`s mismanagement".
Congress will also set up `Gujarat Olympic Academy` (GOA) to produce world-class players and will appoint best coaches in GOA, Amin said.
From tomorrow (Teachers day) Congress would launch a twenty-day drive under `Save Education` and hold various awareness programmes on college campus "to create awareness about Modi government`s failure in improving education in the state," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- WATCH: At 430/9, India needed 24 runs to avoid follow on. What Kapil Dev did next will blow your mind!