Congress attacks BJP over Advani meeting Shah in jail
New Delhi: Congress on Saturday attacked BJP
over senior leader L K Advani meeting former Gujarat minister
Amit Shah, an accused in the Sohrabuddin Sheikh fake encounter
case, wondering what message the party wanted to send out to
people by a gesture like this.
"If the former Prime Minister aspirant of the BJP goes
and meets him (Shah) in jail, what is the signal the BJP is
trying to send to the country in its belief in rule of law,"
party spokesman Manish Tewari said.
He said the CBI, which had been entrusted by the
Supreme Court with the investigation into the Sohrabuddin fake
encounter case, had found evidence against Shah.
Tewari said even the Gujarat government had admitted
in an affidavit in the Supreme Court that the encounter was
"The Supreme Court then entrusted the investigation to
a SIT of Gujarat police which was subordinate to the then Home
Minister Amit Shah. Subsequently, not being satisfied by the
conduct of the SIT, the court entrusted this to CBI which has
found evidence against Shah," the spokesman added.
Earlier, Advani met Shah in Sabarmati jail along with
state BJP in-charge Balbir Punj. The two leaders also went to
Shah`s residence to meet his family members.
"The Centre is using CBI as a tool to defame our
government which is absolutely incorrect. People will give
them a reply. The results of yesterday`s bye-election is not
ordinary," Advani said after meeting Shah`s family members in
Advani`s visit assumes significance as it indicates that
the BJP is firmly backing Shah, though he has been arrested by
The BJP has all along maintained that Shah is innocent
and has been implicated in the fake encounter case of 2005.
Shah, a close aide of Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra
Modi, has been described by the CBI as the "kingpin" of the
entire conspiracy leading to the encounter of Sohrabuddin,
killing of his wife Kausarbi and also Tulsi Prajapati, a key
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part II
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part III
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part IV
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Actor-politician Ramya refuses to apologise for 'Pakistan is not hell' remark
- Pakistan briefs China on alleged human rights violations in Kashmir Valley
- Russia loses appeal against Paralympics ban in Rio next month
- Google unveils Android Nougat for Nexus devices
- BSNL waives installation charges on new landline connections