Congress delegation from Gujarat meets President
New Delhi: Congress leaders from Gujarat on Tuesday met President Pratibha Patil Tuesday and said the Governor Kamala Beniwal had not violated norms in appointing Justice RA Mehta (retd) as state Lokayukta.
The delegation which included senior leaders from the state including state unit chief Arjun Modwadia, Leader of Opposition Shaktisinh Gohil and former union minister Shankarsinh Vaghela met Patil to counter the Bharatiya Janata Party`s (BJP) offensive over the appointment of Lokayukta.
The BJP delegation had met Patil to demand recall of the governor for bypassing Chief Minister Narendra Modi while appointing the Lokayukta.
The Congress leaders alleged that the BJP government in Gujarat was opposing the appointment of Mehta as the Lokayukta as it is scared that as in Karnataka, the Lokayukta will also expose the "massive wrong doings, irregularities and corrupt practices".
Gujarat Congress leaders also accused BJP leaders of misleading parliament on the issue.
"(Leader of Opposition in Lok Sabha) Ms. Sushama Swaraj has misled parliament on the issue by saying governor sat on for three years on a recommendation by the state government to appoint Lokayukta. I have been a part of the process. All these are nothing but lies," Gohil said after meeting the president.
He alleged that "maximum funding of BJP comes from Gujarat" and "the entire BJP high command was on its toes to save the chief minister".
The BJP has repeatedly stalled parliament since last week over the issue.
The tussle between the Congress and BJP over Lokayukta`s appointment was also played outside the two houses Tuesday after some Congress leaders from Gujarat raised slogans against Modi near statue of Mahatma Gandhi in the parliament premises. Some BJP MPs countered them with slogans in favour of Modi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- DNA: How India became world's largest arms importer
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: Shiv Sena leads in 94 seats, BJP ahead in 56; counting underway
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Results 2017 LIVE: Mumbai Congress chief Sanjay Nirupam offers resignation; Shiv Sena ahead in BMC polls
- Thane Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Counting underway; Shiv Sena leads the race