Congress demands stay to release of Gujarati film on Narendra Modi
Ahmedabad: Congress in Gujarat today asked the Election Commission to stop the release of Gujarati film `Namo Saune Gamo` (`Namo is loved by all`) on the ground that it was an indirect advertisement of BJP`s prime ministerial candidate Narendra Modi.
"The lead actor, as shown in the posters, looks exactly like Modi. Further, the name of the film is also suggestive, making it as an advertisement of Narendra Modi," said Gujarat Pradesh Congress Committee spokesperson Manish Doshi.
As the film was to release today, GPCC legal cell convener Nikunj Balar wrote to the EC, seeking a stay.
"It is nothing but election propaganda material of Modi but the expenditure would be put down to the producer`s account, as if BJP has to do nothing with it. We strongly object to such indirect publicity and have asked the EC to stay the release till the elections get over," said Balar.
Meanwhile, multiplex owners on their own put off the release today, fearing controversy.
Cinepolis and City Pulse multiplexes confirmed the film was not being shown as of now.
Congress also asked the EC to keep a watch on Ramdev`s yoga programme scheduled for April 27. Ramdev, considered a BJP supporter, will attend `Yog Diksha Sabha` in Naranpura.
"We have requested the EC not to grant permission to Ramdev if he is going to campaign for BJP under the guise of such religious programmes. The organisers must be instructed not to do any political campaign or invite political leaders to the program," said Balar.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users