Congress files complaint against Modi government for breach of poll code
Ahmedabad: Gujarat Congress on Monday filed a complaint with the State Election Commission alleging that Narendra Modi Government has violated the Model Code of Conduct for elections.
In a written complaint filed with Chief Election Officer Anita Karval, Congress alleged that the state government breached the code of conduct by distributing booklets which prominently display pictures of Chief Minister Narendra Modi and Urban Development Minister Nitin Patel.
"It is a gross and blatant violation of the Code as the booklets comprising pictures of chief minister and the minister were printed by the Narmada, Water Resources, Water Conservation and Kalpsar Department of the State of Gujarat," Congress spokesperson Manish Doshi said.
The Opposition party has also alleged that the booklets, distributed in all districts of Saurashtra region on October 12, "boasts" about the implementation of Narmada Irrigation Project for the benefit of the region.
"The said booklets name a project `Saurashtra Narmada Avataran Irrigation Yojana`, whereby it was declared that the chief minister has now implemented the said scheme with the estimated cost of Rs 10,000 crore," Doshi said.
"Though the booklets were printed by the government press at the cost of public exchequer, the same were distributed through the district units of BJP. This is nothing but the use of governmental resources by state BJP for its own propaganda," the spokesperson said.
Assembly polls will be held in Gujarat on December 13 and 17 and counting of votes on December 20.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM