Congress leader Radadia mulling to cross over to BJP
Rajkot/Ahmedabad: Former Congress MP and a senior Patel community leader Vitthal Radadia is mulling to cross over to BJP.
"I have been meeting my supporters since last couple of days and would soon clear my stand on the issue," Radadiya told PTI on Sunday when asked whether he would join the BJP.
He met Chief Minister Narendra Modi today in Gandhinagar fuelling speculation on his joining BJP.
His son, Jayesh Radadia, a Congress MLA from Jetpur said, "my father today met CM but I don`t know what they have discussed."
He was evasive on the question whether both father and the son were contemplating to join the ruling party in the state.
Vitthal Radadia, who resigned as MP to continue as MLA after the recent assembly elections, was upset over not being given the post of `Leader of Opposition` in the assembly as the party preferred former chief minister Shankarsinh Vaghela over him.
Radadia, who belongs to leuva Patel community is considered a giant in the state`s co-operative sector and a influential leader of farmers from Saurashtra.
It would prove to be a severe blow to the Congress if Radadia joins the BJP and could affect the party in the general elections next year.
Gujarat chief minister Narendra Modi is eyeing a bigger role after the general elections and would be looking to win maximum number of seats from his home state. Congress had won 12 of the 26 seats in the 2009 elections.
Incidentally, Radadia was involved in toll-gate controversy when he was caught in a CCTV footage at Karjan toll plaza in Vadodara district allegedly threatening toll-booth operators with his gun when he was asked to show his identity card.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- India's Balochistan push works, European Parliament warns Pakistan of sanctions over atrocities on Balochi people
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray