Congress leaders detained in Gujarat
Ahmedabad: Top Gujarat Congress leaders
and scores of party workers were detained on Monday as they tried
to take out a rally from Sabarmati Ashram to state
capital of Gandhinagar in the protest against suspension of
opposition leader Shaktisinh Gohil from the state Assembly.
Police thwarted the attempt of Congress workers, who
after attending a public meeting at the Ashram, tried to take
out the march under the banner of `Save Democracy` to
Gandhinagar, against the policies of the ruling BJP
Among the leaders who were detained include Gujarat
Congress incharge Mohan Prakash, state unit party chief Arjun
Modhvadia, campaign committee chief Shankarsinh Vaghela, Union
ministers Dinsha Patel, Tushar Chaudhary, Bharatsinh Solanki
and the office-bearers namely Narhari Amin and Siddarth Patel,
besides hundreds of party workers.
Congress was given permission only to hold a protest
and not for a march to Gandhinagar. Police then had to
detained the leaders and party workers by use of force,
"It is unfortunate that we are not been given right to
protest and our people are being detained," Modhvadia said.
Congress was protesting against suspension of
Gohil from Assembly on March 2 for the entire Budget session
following his refusal to tender an apology in the House over
his remarks on alleged nexus between the government and Adani
Earlier, the Congress had sought permission from the
Gandhiangar district administration to protest in front of the
state Assembly, but it was denied owing to the code of
election conduct as by-election to Mansa assembly constituency
will be held soon.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...