Congress leaders protesting `anti-farmer` bill detained in Gujarat
Gandhinagar: Senior Gujarat Congress leaders and party workers were detained here on Monday when they tried to march towards the state Assembly protesting against the Gujarat Irrigation and Drainage Bill 2013, which they claimed is "anti-farmer".
State Congress president Arjun Modhwadia, Leader of Opposition Shankarsinh Vaghela, central ministers Dinsha Patel and Tushar Chaudhary were among others who were detained by the police and released later.
The police also detained a number of Congress leaders and workers who tried to march towards the Assembly protesting against the Bill, which proposes stringent measures including penal actions against farmers who violate norms, after holding a public meeting.
The Congress had been permitted to hold a public meeting and not a march to the Assembly, police said.
The Bill was passed by the Assembly in the first week of March and Governor Kamla Beniwal recently gave it her nod.
Earlier in the public meeting, Modhwadia said that the "draconian" Bill will take away farmers` right to use water for irrigation.
"This government has made farmers` life difficult by not supplying electricity and now they want to restrain them from using water as well. The Congress has decided to organise a Jal Adhikar Yatra from April 10, which will begin from Dwarka.
Farmers will break laws listed in this new Bill from that date," he said.
Leader of Opposition Vaghela said, "To cover up its
failure in providing drinking water to Saurashtra and Kutch where there is water scarcity, the state government has drafted such a draconian Bill. With todays public meeting, the Congress has started a people`s movement against the Bill".
The central government has provided more than Rs 650 crore for water scarcity relief to Gujarat, but instead of using it, Modi is busy building his national image, alleged Union Minister Dinsha Patel.
The Bill prescribes appointing canal officers of the rank of an additional assistant engineer or above, with wide powers to detain farmers found diverting water illegally from canal networks.
There is a provision in the Bill, which makes it mandatory for farmers to apply for licenses from canal officers, if they wish to construct tube wells, borewells or artesian wells to extract ground water, exceeding the depth prescribed by the government.
Farmers violating the provisions of the Bill will be punished with imprisonment up to six months or fined Rs 10,000.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks