Congress MLA from Mandvi arrested on charges of rioting
Ahmedabad: A Congress MLA from Mandvi in rural Surat, Prabhu Vasava, was arrested by the police today on charges of rioting.
However, he was later released on bail.
According to the police, Vasava and one of his accomplices Narpatsinh Mahida were arrested today on the basis of a complaint filed by former Congress MLA Kuwarji Halpati in the Mandvi police station.
Prior to the Gujarat assembly elections held last year, Halpati had defected from the Congress and joined the BJP, after which equations between the two changed.
"Around 10 days ago, Vasava and Kuwarji had clashed with each other over some issue. Today Vasava was arrested on charges of rioting and his accomplice Mahida was booked under the Atrocity Act," police sub-inspector A J Jadhav said.
A case under Sections 143 (unlawful assembly), 147 guilty of rioting) and 148 (armed with deadly weapon) of the Indian Penal Code was registered against Vasava, he said.
He was produced in a local magistrate`s court and was released on bail, Jadhav said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- Panel discussion over politicians using Dalits as vote banks
- Siachen: All 10 missing soldiers hit by avalanche confirmed dead
- LTCG tax concession for under construction property
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report
- Scariest ever ghosts caught on camera, video goes viral - Watch
- Deepika Padukone's first shot from 'XXX 3' revealed! See pic