Congress MLA from Mandvi arrested on charges of rioting
Ahmedabad: A Congress MLA from Mandvi in rural Surat, Prabhu Vasava, was arrested by the police today on charges of rioting.
However, he was later released on bail.
According to the police, Vasava and one of his accomplices Narpatsinh Mahida were arrested today on the basis of a complaint filed by former Congress MLA Kuwarji Halpati in the Mandvi police station.
Prior to the Gujarat assembly elections held last year, Halpati had defected from the Congress and joined the BJP, after which equations between the two changed.
"Around 10 days ago, Vasava and Kuwarji had clashed with each other over some issue. Today Vasava was arrested on charges of rioting and his accomplice Mahida was booked under the Atrocity Act," police sub-inspector A J Jadhav said.
A case under Sections 143 (unlawful assembly), 147 guilty of rioting) and 148 (armed with deadly weapon) of the Indian Penal Code was registered against Vasava, he said.
He was produced in a local magistrate`s court and was released on bail, Jadhav said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Maharajganj
- Are educational institutions becoming a tool to showcase anti-national agendas?
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- DNA: Post demonetisation, India records 7% GDP growth rate in Q3
- Gurmehar Kaur row: Girl who got 'Shiva stole' gift from PM Narendra Modi says she got rape threat from Congress politician
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Yogeshwar Dutt takes a dig at Javed Akhtar after being called 'a hardly literate wrestler'
- Gurmehar-ABVP ruckus: Virender Sehwag represents BCCI not India, says Umar Khalid
- No AC, mattress for Sasikala in prison, confirms DIG; may not be shifted to Chennai jail