Congress MLA from Mandvi arrested on charges of rioting
Ahmedabad: A Congress MLA from Mandvi in rural Surat, Prabhu Vasava, was arrested by the police today on charges of rioting.
However, he was later released on bail.
According to the police, Vasava and one of his accomplices Narpatsinh Mahida were arrested today on the basis of a complaint filed by former Congress MLA Kuwarji Halpati in the Mandvi police station.
Prior to the Gujarat assembly elections held last year, Halpati had defected from the Congress and joined the BJP, after which equations between the two changed.
"Around 10 days ago, Vasava and Kuwarji had clashed with each other over some issue. Today Vasava was arrested on charges of rioting and his accomplice Mahida was booked under the Atrocity Act," police sub-inspector A J Jadhav said.
A case under Sections 143 (unlawful assembly), 147 guilty of rioting) and 148 (armed with deadly weapon) of the Indian Penal Code was registered against Vasava, he said.
He was produced in a local magistrate`s court and was released on bail, Jadhav said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dengue cases on the rise in Delhi - Is the govt waiting for another epidemic?
- JNU student accuses fellow PhD scholar and AISA member of rape
- Sukhoi 30MKI posted in Arunachal Pradesh; Kiren Rijiju lauds development
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- Over 400 flights grounded as Tokyo prepares to take a direct hit from typhoon
- Kamal Haasan to be conferred French award
- New laser created from jellyfish proteins
- Rohit Shetty's 'Ram Lakhan' remake not happening anymore? Here's what we know so far!
- Gionee S6s smartphone for selfie lovers to be launched in India today