Congress MP Jagdish Thakor refutes rumours of him joining BJP
Ahmedabad: Congress MP from Patan Jagdish Thakor on Monday categorically denied reports of him joining BJP today, after he announced that he would not contest elections from his current seat.
To clear the air surrounding his decision and subsequent rumours doing the rounds, Thakor was invited at a press meet ere today by Gujarat Congress president Arjun Modhwadia, who was also disturbed by rumours about his replacement as president of Gujarat Pradesh Congress Committee (GPCC).
"It seems that someone is planting such baseless reports in the media. Just like me, Thakor was also targeted by such people," alleged Modhwadia, who was also accompanied by former GPCC president Siddharth Patel.
Addressing reporters, Thakor first clarified his stand about his decision of not contesting the forthcoming Lok Sabha elections.
"There was no pressure from my party. It is my personal decision not to contest elections this time. Not only from Patan, I am not contesting from any seat in the state. I will only work as a dedicated party worker and help other candidates during elections," Thakor said.
Thakor also expressed his anger about rumours about him joining the BJP.
"Yesterday, there was a rumour that I was going to BJP office. I want to clarify that I am still with the Congress and not going anywhere," said Thakor, who also refuted reports about the party`s decision to drop him and give ticket to Bhavsinh Rathod for the Patan seat.
"This is not true and I am not at all angry. I support whoever is given the ticket for Patan by my party," Thakor said.
Rathod, who reached the GPCC office during evening, claimed that Thakor has already given his blessings. "I am not sure if I will be given ticket by my party, but, Thakor has already given his approval about my candidature" said Rathod, who came from BJP to the Congress during 2012.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened