Congress MP writes to Narendra Modi seeking appointment of Lokayukta in Gujarat
Ahmedabad: Congress MP from Gujarat Jagdish Thakor has written a letter to Chief Minister Narendra Modi, saying that if he does not appoint Lokayukta, his image would take a beating.
"Prolonging the issue of Lokayukta appointment will taint your image, which I don`t like and that is why I have written a public letter to you," Thakor said.
Invoking former US president John F Kennedy`s famous quote `don`t ask what your country has done for you...,` Thakor asked, "What would you do as Gujarat Chief Minister to solve people`s problems and to rid the state of corruption and lack of administration?"
Thakor, who represents Patan in North Gujarat, requested Modi to appoint Justice (retd) R A Mehta as Lokayukta, leaving behind "ego" and political rivalry.
Mehta, whose appointment as Lokayukta was opposed by the Narendra Modi government, declined to assume the office earlier this month saying that the controversy had "denigrated" the office.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Meet Lynlee Hope - Texas baby who was 'born' twice!
- Intelligence agencies warn of firing by Pakistan along LoC, international border
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon