Congress MP writes to Narendra Modi seeking appointment of Lokayukta in Gujarat
Ahmedabad: Congress MP from Gujarat Jagdish Thakor has written a letter to Chief Minister Narendra Modi, saying that if he does not appoint Lokayukta, his image would take a beating.
"Prolonging the issue of Lokayukta appointment will taint your image, which I don`t like and that is why I have written a public letter to you," Thakor said.
Invoking former US president John F Kennedy`s famous quote `don`t ask what your country has done for you...,` Thakor asked, "What would you do as Gujarat Chief Minister to solve people`s problems and to rid the state of corruption and lack of administration?"
Thakor, who represents Patan in North Gujarat, requested Modi to appoint Justice (retd) R A Mehta as Lokayukta, leaving behind "ego" and political rivalry.
Mehta, whose appointment as Lokayukta was opposed by the Narendra Modi government, declined to assume the office earlier this month saying that the controversy had "denigrated" the office.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore