Congress MP writes to Narendra Modi seeking appointment of Lokayukta in Gujarat
Ahmedabad: Congress MP from Gujarat Jagdish Thakor has written a letter to Chief Minister Narendra Modi, saying that if he does not appoint Lokayukta, his image would take a beating.
"Prolonging the issue of Lokayukta appointment will taint your image, which I don`t like and that is why I have written a public letter to you," Thakor said.
Invoking former US president John F Kennedy`s famous quote `don`t ask what your country has done for you...,` Thakor asked, "What would you do as Gujarat Chief Minister to solve people`s problems and to rid the state of corruption and lack of administration?"
Thakor, who represents Patan in North Gujarat, requested Modi to appoint Justice (retd) R A Mehta as Lokayukta, leaving behind "ego" and political rivalry.
Mehta, whose appointment as Lokayukta was opposed by the Narendra Modi government, declined to assume the office earlier this month saying that the controversy had "denigrated" the office.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report