Congress, NCP finalise seat sharing arrangement in Gujarat
Ahmedabad: The Congress and its alliance partner Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) have reached a seat sharing arrangement in Gujarat, sources said here today.
The alliance has decided to field Kandhal Jadeja, who is an NCP MLA from from Kutiyana assembly seat of Porbandar district against BJP strongman Vitthal Radadiya from the Porbandar Lok Sabha seat.
Kandhal Jadeja is the son of the late `Godmother` Santokben Jadeja.
"After a meeting attended by senior Congress and NCP leaders in Delhi, the parties solved their dispute and declared Kandhal Jadeja as their joint candidate. The meeting was held between Sonia Gandhi`s political advisor Ahmed Patel and NCP leader Praful Patel," NCP`s Gujarat unit president Jayant Patel alias `Boski` told PTI.
The Congress and the NCP have also come to a deal on seat sharing in Gujarat and the Congress has given one seat to the NCP out of 26 Lok Sabha seats.
Earlier, there were reports of differences between NCP and Congress, since state leaders of both the parties were in no mood to compromise on sharing of seats in Gujarat.
Initially, the Congress had not agreed to NCP`s plan to field Kandhal Jadeja from the Porbandar Lok Sabha seat, sources said.
Gujarat Pradesh Congress Committee (GPCC)`s president Arjun Modhvadia told PTI, "We have decided to give one seat to the NCP and now they can decide their candidate."
When asked about the question of fielding Kandhal Jadeja, he said, "The matter has come to an end after a meeting of leaders in Delhi. The Porbandar Lok Sabha seat now belongs to the NCP and they will decide about it."
BJP has decided to field its sitting MP Vitthal Radadiya who had earlier switched over from the Congress to the BJP along with his son Jayesh Radadiya, an MLA from the Dhoraji assembly seat of Porbandar constituency.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand