Congress picks holes in Modi`s claim on protection of cows
Ahmedabad: Opposition Congress on Sunday dismissed Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi`s claim that the ruling BJP government was solely responsible for bringing the law banning cow slaughter in the state.
"It was Congress government who first introduced the legislation for prohibiting cow slaughter in 1994," Leader of Opposition in Gujarat Assembly Shaktisinh Gohil said.
"Moreover the Congress and Keshubhai Patel governments had taken up cudgels in the High Court against people protesting the law. The Shankersinh Vaghela government had filed an affidavit in the Supreme Court to ban cow slaughter," he said.
Accusing Modi of a false propaganda that his government was instrumental in bringing the law, Gohil said that in fact the chief minister has given away 3.33 lakh hectares of grazing land to few favoured industrialists as a result of which farmers and cattle-rearers are forced to send their livestock to slaughter houses.
Modi while sharing dais with yoga guru Ramdev at a function here claimed that his government had fought four legal battles in the Supreme Court to bring the legislation protecting cows.
Criticising Modi for "false claims", Gohil challenged him for a public debate on the erstwhile NDA government`s policy on cow slaughter and the one pursued by the UPA.
"The CM who is criticising Central government for slaughter houses should tell what changes UPA government has made in NDA government`s policy. The fact is that the policy on cow slaughter is same today as it was during the NDA rule," he said.
The Gujarat Animal Preservation (Amended) Act, 2011, enacted by the state Assembly last year, imposed a total ban on slaughter of cow, transportation and sale of beef.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof