Congress rally baton charged in Guj; 200 held
Gandhinagar: Police Thursday baton-charged a protest rally taken out by Congress workers and detained Gujarat state unit president Arjun Modhvadia and senior leader Shankarsinh Vaghela among 200 others.
The rally was taken out coinciding with the opening day of the Budget session.
Congress was given permission to hold a public meeting at Pathik Ashram and not to take out the rally, police said.
The party workers led by their leaders defied the prohibitory orders and went ahead with the protest march joined by farmers, they said.
The Congressmen were baton-charged and a couple of tear gas shell were also fired to disperse the crowd which was getting out of control, police said.
Over 200 Congress workers, including Modhvadia and Vaghela, have been detained for disrupting law and order in the city, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi