Congress rally baton charged in Guj; 200 held
Gandhinagar: Police Thursday baton-charged a protest rally taken out by Congress workers and detained Gujarat state unit president Arjun Modhvadia and senior leader Shankarsinh Vaghela among 200 others.
The rally was taken out coinciding with the opening day of the Budget session.
Congress was given permission to hold a public meeting at Pathik Ashram and not to take out the rally, police said.
The party workers led by their leaders defied the prohibitory orders and went ahead with the protest march joined by farmers, they said.
The Congressmen were baton-charged and a couple of tear gas shell were also fired to disperse the crowd which was getting out of control, police said.
Over 200 Congress workers, including Modhvadia and Vaghela, have been detained for disrupting law and order in the city, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened