Congress rally baton charged in Guj; 200 held
Gandhinagar: Police Thursday baton-charged a protest rally taken out by Congress workers and detained Gujarat state unit president Arjun Modhvadia and senior leader Shankarsinh Vaghela among 200 others.
The rally was taken out coinciding with the opening day of the Budget session.
Congress was given permission to hold a public meeting at Pathik Ashram and not to take out the rally, police said.
The party workers led by their leaders defied the prohibitory orders and went ahead with the protest march joined by farmers, they said.
The Congressmen were baton-charged and a couple of tear gas shell were also fired to disperse the crowd which was getting out of control, police said.
Over 200 Congress workers, including Modhvadia and Vaghela, have been detained for disrupting law and order in the city, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested