Congress rally baton charged in Guj; 200 held
Gandhinagar: Police Thursday baton-charged a protest rally taken out by Congress workers and detained Gujarat state unit president Arjun Modhvadia and senior leader Shankarsinh Vaghela among 200 others.
The rally was taken out coinciding with the opening day of the Budget session.
Congress was given permission to hold a public meeting at Pathik Ashram and not to take out the rally, police said.
The party workers led by their leaders defied the prohibitory orders and went ahead with the protest march joined by farmers, they said.
The Congressmen were baton-charged and a couple of tear gas shell were also fired to disperse the crowd which was getting out of control, police said.
Over 200 Congress workers, including Modhvadia and Vaghela, have been detained for disrupting law and order in the city, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- DNA: 50-lane traffic jam in China during national holiday
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Bihar polls: Two surveys predict majority for Grand Alliance, one give edge to NDA
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity orphanages to be derecognised?