Congress reminds Modi of the US` denial of visa
New Delhi: Congress on Wednesday sought to deflate
BJP`s euphoria over a US Congressional report praising
Narendra Modi for good governance, saying the same United
States still continues to deny visa to the Gujarat Chief
"BJP has decided to extol a purported report by a US
think tank. They should also be cognizant that the same US
still continues to deny him a visa," Congress spokesperson
Manish Tewari told reporters here.
He was responding to a volley of questions on the US
Congressional report identifying Gujarat as perhaps the best
example of effective governance and impressive development in
India and showering praise on Modi, saying the state under
him has become a key driver of national economic growth.
Tewari also ridiculed L K Advani`s proposed yatra against
corruption and the fast being undertaken by Modi for peace,
harmony and unity in his state, indicating that these were
signs of a power struggle in the BJP ahead of 2014 Lok Sabha
"Neither the yatra is about corruption nor the fast is
about Sadbhavana. Both are attempting political positioning,"
"Both Advani and Modi are attempting political positioning
which is intrinsic to the BJP. It is apparent that lessons of
2004 and 2009 Lok Sabha polls are completely lost on BJP."
Taking a dig at the two BJP leaders, he said a "strange
phenomena" has enveloped the BJP as "an elder gentleman is on
a yatra and another gentleman on a fast.
"The last time, the elder gentleman had decided to go on
an yatra, it has assaulted the secular foundation of the
country. We still continue to pay the price after so many
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Dadri lynching: Rahul Gandhi reaches Dadri, meets victim Iqlakh's family
- Dadri lynching: Prime accused's father refutes allegations; says son is innocent
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Team India, South Africa arrive for second T20 match
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?