Congress woos Gujarat youth in election year
Ahmedabad: In a bid to woo youth ahead of Gujarat Assembly elections, the Congress on Tuesday held a rally marking the state`s 52nd Foundation Day.
"Youth of the state are in a flux due to policies of the ruling BJP government at it has failed them on every front. They are being made to pay very high fees for their higher education and once they pass out there is nobody to create employment and give them jobs," state unit Congress president Arjun Modhvadia said.
"There are more than 5 lakh fixed-wage workers who have not been given full salaries by the state government. The Gujarat High Court has ordered the state government to give all of them the salaries but this BJP government is going to the Supreme Court instead of disbursing the dues to them," he said.
Senior Congress leader Shankarsinh Vaghela said on the occasion that the youth of the state should ensure a political change.
"It is high time that there should be a change in the state. If Congress comes to power, petrol will be provided at a cheaper rate in Gujarat," he said.
Earlier, youth Congress members took out a rally from Lal Darwaza area of the city to Gujarat University to highlight the issues faced by the youth.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- What Yakub Memon did in minutes before being hanged
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet