Constable murdered in suspected dishonour killing
Kapurthala (Punjab): A 21-year-old constable was killed by the father of the woman he loved, in a case of honour killing in Punjab, police said Tuesday.
The accused, Balwinder Singh, was arrested Monday and he has confessed to his crime, police said.
The deceased, Sandeep Singh, was from the Balmiki community and was a resident of Choladha village here. He was in love with Karamdeep Kaur, a Jat girl from the Lakh Waryan village.
Balwinder was against their relationship as Sandeep belonged to a lower caste, police said.
"The accused had kidnapped Sandeep on Feb 7. He had thrown his body into Beas river after murdering him. Our hunt is on to trace the body," said police officer Narinder Pal Singh.
Sandeep and Karamdeep were in love since their school days, police said. Sandeep had left studies after Class 12 as he got a job in Punjab Police while Karamdeep was pursuing her graduation.
Sandeep was also a promising kabaddi player and was supposed to go to Malaysia Feb 14 to take part in a tournament. He was preparing for the tournament when he was kidnapped.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader