Constable murdered in suspected dishonour killing
Kapurthala (Punjab): A 21-year-old constable was killed by the father of the woman he loved, in a case of honour killing in Punjab, police said Tuesday.
The accused, Balwinder Singh, was arrested Monday and he has confessed to his crime, police said.
The deceased, Sandeep Singh, was from the Balmiki community and was a resident of Choladha village here. He was in love with Karamdeep Kaur, a Jat girl from the Lakh Waryan village.
Balwinder was against their relationship as Sandeep belonged to a lower caste, police said.
"The accused had kidnapped Sandeep on Feb 7. He had thrown his body into Beas river after murdering him. Our hunt is on to trace the body," said police officer Narinder Pal Singh.
Sandeep and Karamdeep were in love since their school days, police said. Sandeep had left studies after Class 12 as he got a job in Punjab Police while Karamdeep was pursuing her graduation.
Sandeep was also a promising kabaddi player and was supposed to go to Malaysia Feb 14 to take part in a tournament. He was preparing for the tournament when he was kidnapped.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof