Constable murdered in suspected dishonour killing
Kapurthala (Punjab): A 21-year-old constable was killed by the father of the woman he loved, in a case of honour killing in Punjab, police said Tuesday.
The accused, Balwinder Singh, was arrested Monday and he has confessed to his crime, police said.
The deceased, Sandeep Singh, was from the Balmiki community and was a resident of Choladha village here. He was in love with Karamdeep Kaur, a Jat girl from the Lakh Waryan village.
Balwinder was against their relationship as Sandeep belonged to a lower caste, police said.
"The accused had kidnapped Sandeep on Feb 7. He had thrown his body into Beas river after murdering him. Our hunt is on to trace the body," said police officer Narinder Pal Singh.
Sandeep and Karamdeep were in love since their school days, police said. Sandeep had left studies after Class 12 as he got a job in Punjab Police while Karamdeep was pursuing her graduation.
Sandeep was also a promising kabaddi player and was supposed to go to Malaysia Feb 14 to take part in a tournament. He was preparing for the tournament when he was kidnapped.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- Know what Ranveer Singh has to say about Akshay Kumar
- A love story for Akshay Kumar in toilet? Details inside
- Wondering if Ranveer Singh is on board Deepika Padukone’s ‘Padmavati’? Details inside
- Saif Ali Khan finds Kareena Kapoor very sexy in 'Yeh Mera Dil' song
- Donald Trump demands special prosecutor to probe Hillary Clinton allegations