Constitutional role of governor well-defined: Gujarat Governor
New Delhi: Veteran Bhartiya Janata Party (BJP) leader Om Prakash Kohli, who has been appointed as the next Governor of Gujarat, said on Tuesday that the role of the person occupying the post is constitutionally well-defined to ensure smooth relations between the Centre and the State.
Speaking to a news agency a day after he had been formerly appointed as Governor of Gujarat by President Pranab Mukherjee, Kohli described himself as a loyal worker of the BJP, and a person who did not possess the arrogance of a leader.
He said that the BJP had given him a new responsibility, and he would use this opportunity to understand Gujarat better.
"I have visited Gujarat earlier during different elections and that is how I know the place. Now, I will get more time to know Gujarat," he added.
Elaborating on what the role of a governor should be, he said, "The role of governor is constitutional and defined. His job is to see that governance is on track. He is the link between the Centre and the state. Welfare of people has to be undertaken by the elected government and not the governor. But still better understanding between the elected government of the state and the governor is important. It is beneficial for the state government."
"I come from the BJP, which can be the reason for a better understanding with the state government, which is also of the BJP. Party has taken the decision to send me, and I will give the impression to the workers that they are valued in the party," he added.
President Pranab Mukherjee on Monday appointed new governors for Uttar Pradesh, Chhattisgarh, West Bengal, Gujarat and Nagaland. "Ram Naik appointed as governor of Uttar Pradesh, Balramji Dass Tandon appointed as governor of Chhattisgarh, Keshari Nath Tripathi appointed as governor of West Bengal and Om Prakash Kohli appointed as governor of Gujarat", a Rashtrapati Bhavan release said.
"The above appointments will take effect from the dates the incumbents assume charge of their respective offices," the release added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire