Contractor KR Makwana remanded in five days` police custody
Vadodara: Building contractor KR Makwana, arrested in connection with the twin building collapse case in Ataladara locality of Madhavnagar here on August 28, was on Monday remanded in five days` police custody by a local court.
Deputy Commissioner of Police Dipankar Trivedi said, "Three people including building contractor KR Makwana, structural engineer Bhupendra Padadiya and site supervisor B D Tamboli, have been arrested in the case so far and police investigations are on."
11 people had died in the twin building collapse on Janasthami day last month, after which the police rounded up several people who are mostly retired employees of the Gujarat government promoted Vadodara Urban Development Authority (VUDA) which constructed 457 houses in 33 blocks for the Madhavnagar housing scheme in 2001.
Of these, four of the 33 blocks collapsed in the past one month. Nobody was injured in two of these blocks because the people residing in them were evicted well before their collapse.
The three retired VUDA employees were arrested after police received a Forensic Science Laboratory (FSL) report which said that building structures were faulty and the construction materials used were of inferior quality.
The police is in the process of verifying documents related to the housing project. It may arrest others after gathering more evidence, the police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan