Cops met to discuss strategy to obstruct Ishrat probe: CBI
Ahmedabad: Recorded conversations of nine police officials, who attended a meeting in November 2011 to allegedly decide the strategy to obstruct the probe in the Ishrat Jahan fake encounter killing case, is part of the documents submitted by CBI in its charge sheet filed before a special CBI court.
Accused and suspended IPS officer G L Singhal, had produced two pen drives one of which contained recorded telephonic conversations between him and then Minister of State (Home) Amit Shah while the other pen drive contained recorded conversations of the nine officials.
The meeting, according to the CBI charge sheet, held in November 2011, was attended by Advocate General Kamal Trivedi, G L Singhal, Rohit Verma, advocate friend of Singhal, Girish Murmu, secretary to the Chief Minister, A K Sharma, then IG (Gandhinagar range), Praful Patel, then MoS (Home), Pradeepsinh Jadeja, then MoS (Law), former minister Bhupendrasinh Chudasama and another accused Tarun Barot.
The meeting was held in a private chamber of the Advocate General, the chargesheet further states, adding "it discussed the strategy to obstruct the investigation in the Ishrat Jahan fake encounter case."
At that time, the Gujarat High Court-appointed Special Investigation Team was conducting a preliminary probe in the encounter case.
The case was handed over to CBI by the High Court after SIT concluded that prima facie the encounter seemed to be fake.
Seven police officers, including Singhal and Barot, have been charge sheeted by the central investigation agency in the encounter case of 19-year-old Ishrat Jahan, Javed Shaikh alias Pranesh Pillai, Amjad Ali Rana and Zeeshan Johar on June 15, 2004, on the outskirts of the city.
Gujarat police had then claimed the four were on a mission to assassinate Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi.
However, CBI in its charge sheet stated the encounter was fake and carried out jointly by Gujarat police and IB.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Terrorist outfit IS releases hitlist; 4000 people including 285 Indians targeted
- Mumbai: Woman missing after falling in manhole
- Mann Ki Baat: PM recalls dark days of 1975 Emergency, says democracy is our strength
- Mann Ki Baat: Conserve every drop of water, says PM
- PM Modi launches 'Smart City Project' in Pune
- Procedural delay and not failure, says MEA on India's NSG membership issue
- Keith Urban celebrates 10th anniversary with Nicole Kidman
- An award must go to Fawad Khan for his hilarious expression while hugging Deepika Padukone!
- Greg Chappell strikes! Former coach claims team took short-cuts, key players selfish
- Make-up earns men's admiration, women's jealousy