Cops protecting & shielding Ishrat Jahan case accused: Gujarat HC
Ahmedabad: Gujarat High Court on Friday pulled up the state government saying some of its high-ranking police officers were "protecting, shielding and siding with" the policemen accused in the 2004 Ishrat Jahan encounter case.
"It has come on record in the present investigation that some of the higher state police officers are protecting, shielding and siding with the police officers who are accused in this case," observed the division bench of Justices Jayant Patel and Abhilashakumari today during the hearing of CBI plea to grant services of IPS officer Satish Verma further till June 30.
The court made this comment after going through the progress report of the investigation in the case carried out by the CBI and which was submitted, in a sealed cover to the court on Thursday.
The bench also questioned the intention of the state government for its objections to spare Verma`s services as required by the CBI.
"We fail to understand why the state is opposing the request made by the CBI to spare the services of its IPS officer. Why is that the state government is objecting and obstructing in this? State government should strive to find out whoever the real culprits are and ensure that they get booked at the earliest," the bench observed.
After observing that further truth needs to be unearthed, the court directed the investigative agency to further submit its progress report by June 13. The next hearing in the case has been scheduled on June 14, till which time Verma`s services for CBI investigation into this case has been extended.
On June 15, 2004, Isharat Jahan along with Javed Shaikh alias Pranesh Pillai, Amjadali Akbarali Rana and Zeeshan Johar were killed in an encounter on the outskirts of Ahmedabad.
At that time Gujarat police had claimed that all the four were terrorists, who entered the city to kill Chief Minister Narendra Modi.
CBI, while requesting the services of Verma be
extended till June 30, also revealed that during its probe, apart from accused officer and Addl DGP (Crime) P P Pande, who is still absconding, name of another Gujarat IPS officer has also came up as an accused.
"Alongwith the absconding IPS officer, another name has appeared in our investigation and we need Verma`s assistance in tracing and booking them," said CBI lawyer Ejaz Khan.
As efforts of CBI in taking Pande into the custody has failed, on May 2 special CBI court had issued the arrest warrant against him.
Khan also expressed concerns about the pressure and obstructions created against the agency in this probe.
"If you perused the report and case diaries of our investigation, it will reveal that there are certain kind of obstructions and pressures we are facing from the state government and Verma`s services are vital, as clues he has given have resulted in breakthroughs," Khan said.
"Conspiracy (for the encounter) was hatched in Gujarat and it has been established in our investigation so far...And now, we have to establish the identity of two of the deceased for which we need to take Verma to the northern parts of the country," he said.
State government has opposed the extension of Verma`s services to CBI on the grounds that state can`t spare the services of an IPS officer for longer period as state also need his services.
"Suppose accused is not available for 3-5 years. Then should Verma`s services continue till that time?" argued Government Pleader Prakash Jani.
However, rejecting this argument, the bench said, "We do appreciate the concerns of the state government, but looking at the more important aspect of confidentiality and secrecy of the investigation, we find it proper to extend Verma`s services till June 14, 2013."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'