Court denies bail to Asaram in rape case for third time
Gandhinagar: The Sessions court here on Friday rejected the bail petition of self-styled godman Asaram Bapu, arrested in a rape case.
Judge GK Upadhyaya said that a bail could not be given at this stage as the charges were of "serious nature". This is the third time Asaram has been denied bail.
While seeking the bail, Asaram`s application relied on alleged contradictions in the victim`s statement in the charge sheet, but the judge dismissed the argument.
On October 24 last year, Asaram had filed a bail plea on the ground of delay in filing of FIR by the police. It was rejected.
The second application, on the same ground, too was dismissed.
A Surat-based woman has accused Asaram of repeated rapes and illegal confinement between 1997 and 2006, when she was living at his ashram on the outskirts of Ahmedabad.
Her sister has also levelled similar allegations against Asaram`s son, Narayan Sai.
Asaram (72), is currently lodged in a Jodhpur jail after being arrested in September for allegedly sexually assaulting a minor girl at his Jodhpur ashram.
- Barack Obama has wish about Osama bin Laden`s last moments
- 162 children die in four months in Pakistan's Tharparkar district
- Major blow to Nawaz govt as US asks Pakistan to make ‘full payment’ for F-16 fighter jets
- Death toll from collapsed building in Kenya rises to 22
- Assembly polls 2016: Arch political rivals PM Narendra Modi, Sonia Gandhi soon to hit Kerala