Court orders SIT to furnish complete documents to Zakia Jafri
Ahmedabad: A local court on Thursday directed the Special Investigation Team (SIT), which probed the complaint against Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi and others with regard to their alleged roles in 2002 riots, to furnish "complete and legible copies" of the documents to Zakia Jafri, the complainant in the case.
"SIT is directed to furnish the complete and legible copies of the documents, which it submitted with the (closure) report, to the complainant by September 7," Metropolitan Magistrate B J Ganatra said in his order on Jafri`s plea.
Court also directed SIT to file a detailed affidavit on the issue of documents it had collected during the probe.
Following the probe-closure report filed in February by SIT, Jafri -- whose husband and former Congress MP Ehsan Jafri died in the riots -- was provided with copies of final report and other documents including statements of witnesses, running into over 20,000 pages.
Jafri then filed an application, saying that several of the documents were illegible. She also demanded the copies of interim reports filed in the Supreme Court by SIT member A K Malhotra, and Chairman R K Raghvan`s comments on that interim report.
The court rejected this demand, but allowed Zakia an inspection of all the documents submitted by SIT.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'