Court restrains Gujarat BJP MLA from entering his constituency
Godhra: A local court on Monday prohibited Gujarat BJP MLA Jetha Bharwad from entering his constituency where a case has been registered against him for alleged attempt to murder in an incident of firing during the Assembly polls.
District Judge D T Soni, before adjourning the hearing on Bharwad`s anticipatory bail application, ordered him not to enter his constituency till the court decides on his plea.
At the same time, the court directed the police not to arrest the MLA from Sahera constituency in Panchmahal district and provide him adequate security till further orders.
An FIR had been registered against Bharwad and nine others in connection with firing at a polling booth in Tarsang village, which falls under Sahera Assembly segment, during the second phase of voting on December 17.
Eight rounds were allegedly fired from the machine gun of Bharwad`s bodyguard, causing injuries to four people. The lawmaker, fearing arrest, last week sought anticipatory bail.
The newly-elected MLA today appeared in the court surrounded by a large number of supporters, who shouted slogans in the court compound.
During the hearing, the Judge asked the ruling party legislator to restrain his supporters and not to disrupt the proceedings. After completion of arguments by Bharwad`s counsel, the court fixed December 26 for further hearing.
The MLA had been absconding since December 18 when he escaped from a private hospital in Ahmedabad, where he was brought under detention by a police team for CT-scan after he suffered injuries in stone pelting at Tarsang.
Eight policemen, including an Inspector, who were part of his escort, were suspended for dereliction of duty.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read