Court restrains Gujarat BJP MLA from entering his constituency
Godhra: A local court on Monday prohibited Gujarat BJP MLA Jetha Bharwad from entering his constituency where a case has been registered against him for alleged attempt to murder in an incident of firing during the Assembly polls.
District Judge D T Soni, before adjourning the hearing on Bharwad`s anticipatory bail application, ordered him not to enter his constituency till the court decides on his plea.
At the same time, the court directed the police not to arrest the MLA from Sahera constituency in Panchmahal district and provide him adequate security till further orders.
An FIR had been registered against Bharwad and nine others in connection with firing at a polling booth in Tarsang village, which falls under Sahera Assembly segment, during the second phase of voting on December 17.
Eight rounds were allegedly fired from the machine gun of Bharwad`s bodyguard, causing injuries to four people. The lawmaker, fearing arrest, last week sought anticipatory bail.
The newly-elected MLA today appeared in the court surrounded by a large number of supporters, who shouted slogans in the court compound.
During the hearing, the Judge asked the ruling party legislator to restrain his supporters and not to disrupt the proceedings. After completion of arguments by Bharwad`s counsel, the court fixed December 26 for further hearing.
The MLA had been absconding since December 18 when he escaped from a private hospital in Ahmedabad, where he was brought under detention by a police team for CT-scan after he suffered injuries in stone pelting at Tarsang.
Eight policemen, including an Inspector, who were part of his escort, were suspended for dereliction of duty.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism?
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- Watch video: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli
- Salman Khan miffed with Huma Qureshi –Sohail Khan affair reports?
- IRS website hacked by suspected Pakistani hackers, messages like 'Pakistan Zindabad' posted