Court seeks report on `threats` to Ahmedabad blast
Ahmedabad: A trial court on Monday directed the authorities of Sabarmati jail to file a report on the pleas of the 2008 Ahmedabad serial blasts case accused, who claimed that they were being threatened by some of the convicts of the 2002 Naroda Patiya case.
Designated judge Jyotsna Yagnik, who is conducting the trial, had received an application from 49 out of 68 accused in the case and directed the special public prosecutor of the case to file a detailed report by September 29.
The accused, including Safdar Hussain Nagori, Mohammad Ismail Ishaq Mansuri and Javed Ahmed, have alleged in their application that following some altercation on September 18 between them and Naroda case convict Babu Bajrangi and his accomplice, hostilities against them has increased in the jail.
"On September 18, Bajrangi and his accomplice had hurled abuses and spoke scornfully of our community and insulted our religion. Bajrangi had also bragged about his political clout and threatened to kill each one of us blast accused," reads the application.
"When we went to meet senior jailor Dinesh Vankar and complained to him about the said incident, he started venting his prejudice and hostility against us," the accused have further alleged.
"In the aforesaid threatening circumstances, we have strong apprehensions about our safety and security in the jail. Further, under the pretext of this incident (of altercation), jail administration is said to be planning to put us all in solitary confinement," they have complained.
57 persons lost their lives in the city in 20 different blasts that had taken place on July 26, 2008, allegedly carried out by the Indian Mujahideen (IM).
More then 35 FIRs have been filed in the case and nearly 24 accused are still absconding, including Riyaz Bhatkal and Mufti Sufiyan Patangia.
The trial is being conducted at Sabarmati Central Jail, as the state government has invoked section 268 of the Criminal Procedure Code (CrPC) against all the accused in the case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days