Crime Branch to probe Sabaramati jailbreak attempt case
Ahmedabad: The city Crime Branch probing the Sabarmati jail break attempt by some blasts accused, would investigate whether there were any loopholes in patrolling by the prison staff, a senior official said here on Tuesday.
"The fact that the tunnel digging work was going on without being detected for two months, there seems to be some alleged lack of transparency in patrolling and administration by the Sabarmati Central Jail officials which we will investigate," a senior Detection of Crime Branch (DCB) official said today.
A daring jailbreak planned by Ahmedabad serial blasts case undertrials at the Sabarmati Central Jail was thwarted by prison officials who found an 18-feet-long tunnel dug in the barrack on Sunday, where some of them were lodged.
"We will also check the register to establish who came to visit the blast accused," the official said.
The official further said they were also investigating about how the accused got equipment like iron rods, sharp utensils, pointed asbestos sheets, besides a bulb and the jail map, used for digging the 16.5 feet deep and 26.5 feet wide tunnel.
Out of 68 accused of the serial bomb blasts case, 14 were lodged in the barrack No. 4 called the `Chhota Chakkar`. However, the remaining accused will also be interrogated, the official said.
No use of Closed Circuit Television Cameras (CCTV) in high security area, where the accused were jailed, has also perturbed the Crime Branch officials.
Crime Branch will also interrogate the accused at its office here for which they will have to revoke Section 268 of the Code of Criminal Procedure (CrPC).
"We will have to revoke Section 268 of the CrPC to bring the accused here and interrogate them," the official said, adding that the accused may be brought here in batches as bringing all of them together may become difficult.
Trial of the serial blasts case is being conducted inside Sabarmati Central Jail, as the state government has invoked section 268 of the CrPC against all the accused in the case, restricting their movement.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list