Cyber war unleashed ahead of Gujarat polls
Ahmedabad: Eight months ahead of the Gujarat
Assembly polls, the cyber space has become a battlefield
between supporters of tech-savvy Gujarat Chief Minister
Narendra Modi and his opponents.
Social networking sites like Facebook and Twitter, blogs,
e-mails, websites, video uploading sites and every possible
avenue on the internet is being used to attract the attention
of the net-savvy, especially youths, towards Modi.
His opponents, chiefly the Congress, which calls him an
"internet manipulator" is not lagging behind this time in
trying to match him on every step in the cyber space.
Also, some NGOs opposed to Modi, have also been very
active on the internet in the campaign against him.
The latest flash point between the two sides was the
`Time` magazine online poll to select 100 most influential
peoples list. Modi after being interviewed by the magazine was
nominated for the top 100 and his name was put up for voting.
He was leading the positive votes for the first few days,
and then his opponents swung into action and polled most
negative votes. He is still on third position with 2,56,792
positive votes but his negative numbers are higher with
2,66,684 votes. The final results will be announced by the
Time magazine on April 17.
"What the supporters of the Chief Minister were doing was
just a manipulation of the internet to make him repositioned
as one of the top influential leader of year. This was not a
natural vote as we know that his supporters were manipulating
it. So his opponents have voted against him as they have come
to know reality of things in Gujarat," Congress spokesperson
Manish Doshi said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves