Dalit girl, who was set ablaze succumbs to burns in Gujarat
Ahmedabad: A 17-year-old Dalit girl, who was allegedly set afire by her neighbours died on Thursday at a civil hospital here after battling for life for 18 days, police said.
The incident took place on June 16 outside her house in Ambedkarnagar area of Sayla town of Surendranagar district.
The girl, Chandrika Parmar was cleaning a drain outside her house when some of her neighbours including women picked up fight with her over the cleaning issue and allegedly set her on fire.
"The girl was busy cleaning the drain when these eight persons led by Motilal Sumera rushed to her and started abusing her. They poured kerosene on her and set her ablaze," said A B Gohil, Police Sub-Inspector of Sayla police.
Later, the girl, who received 80 per cent burn injuries, was admitted to a civil hospital here.
After lodging an FIR against her neighbours, who are also Dalits, Deputy Superintendent of Police (DySP) G G Jasani arrested all the eight accused, including four women.
"We have arrested all the accused within few days of the incident. They include main accused Motilal Sumera and seven of his family members, including four women on the charges of attempt to murder," said Jasani.
"Now, as the girl died during her treatment at civil hospital today, they are now be charged for murder," said Jasani, who have started the process to add the murder charges under section 302 of IPC in the previous FIR.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened