Dalit girl, who was set ablaze succumbs to burns in Gujarat
Ahmedabad: A 17-year-old Dalit girl, who was allegedly set afire by her neighbours died on Thursday at a civil hospital here after battling for life for 18 days, police said.
The incident took place on June 16 outside her house in Ambedkarnagar area of Sayla town of Surendranagar district.
The girl, Chandrika Parmar was cleaning a drain outside her house when some of her neighbours including women picked up fight with her over the cleaning issue and allegedly set her on fire.
"The girl was busy cleaning the drain when these eight persons led by Motilal Sumera rushed to her and started abusing her. They poured kerosene on her and set her ablaze," said A B Gohil, Police Sub-Inspector of Sayla police.
Later, the girl, who received 80 per cent burn injuries, was admitted to a civil hospital here.
After lodging an FIR against her neighbours, who are also Dalits, Deputy Superintendent of Police (DySP) G G Jasani arrested all the eight accused, including four women.
"We have arrested all the accused within few days of the incident. They include main accused Motilal Sumera and seven of his family members, including four women on the charges of attempt to murder," said Jasani.
"Now, as the girl died during her treatment at civil hospital today, they are now be charged for murder," said Jasani, who have started the process to add the murder charges under section 302 of IPC in the previous FIR.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Mohammad Kaif takes a subtle dig at Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad after he hit Air India official with slippers