Death toll in Gujarat accident climbs to 23
Ahmedabad: The death toll in the Gujarat road accident, which claimed 18 lives when the open loading van in which they were travelling collided with a state transport bus at Patan, has risen to 23, police said on Thursday.
The accident took place yesterday near Jhilwada village of Patan district, about 125 kms from here.
The toll rose after five persons succumbed to their injuries in various hospitals including those at Patan and Radhanpur since last night.
Twelve others who were seriously injured, have been admitted to the city hospital, they said.
The state government has declared Rs one lakh as ex-gratia compensation to the kin of the deceased. Chief Minister Narendra Modi also extended his condolences on the tragic death of the victims.
Most of the travellers in the van belonged to minority community of Jhilsan village of Mehsana district and were returning after offering prayers at a Dargah in Radhanpur, when the mishap occurred, police said.
The deceased included 12 children and six women.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad