Death toll in Gujarat accident climbs to 23
Ahmedabad: The death toll in the Gujarat road accident, which claimed 18 lives when the open loading van in which they were travelling collided with a state transport bus at Patan, has risen to 23, police said on Thursday.
The accident took place yesterday near Jhilwada village of Patan district, about 125 kms from here.
The toll rose after five persons succumbed to their injuries in various hospitals including those at Patan and Radhanpur since last night.
Twelve others who were seriously injured, have been admitted to the city hospital, they said.
The state government has declared Rs one lakh as ex-gratia compensation to the kin of the deceased. Chief Minister Narendra Modi also extended his condolences on the tragic death of the victims.
Most of the travellers in the van belonged to minority community of Jhilsan village of Mehsana district and were returning after offering prayers at a Dargah in Radhanpur, when the mishap occurred, police said.
The deceased included 12 children and six women.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trouble mounts for Salman Khan as driver reiterates that actor killed blackbuck
- PM Modi to chair NITI aayog meeting today
- Narsingh Yadav dope scandal: NADA set to announce verdict today
- Protests in Kashmir were fuelled by LeT: Hafiz Saeed
- Cabinet approves changes to GST Bill, drops 1% additional tax
- New Israeli settlement plans `provocative and counterproductive`: US
- One billion iPhones have been sold: Apple CEO Tim Cook
- US prosecutors drop all charges in Freddie Gray death
- Leigh Griffiths puts struggling Celtic in Champions League driving seat
- Reality TV personality Khloe Kardashian slams Donald Trump