Death toll in Gujarat accident climbs to 23
Ahmedabad: The death toll in the Gujarat road accident, which claimed 18 lives when the open loading van in which they were travelling collided with a state transport bus at Patan, has risen to 23, police said on Thursday.
The accident took place yesterday near Jhilwada village of Patan district, about 125 kms from here.
The toll rose after five persons succumbed to their injuries in various hospitals including those at Patan and Radhanpur since last night.
Twelve others who were seriously injured, have been admitted to the city hospital, they said.
The state government has declared Rs one lakh as ex-gratia compensation to the kin of the deceased. Chief Minister Narendra Modi also extended his condolences on the tragic death of the victims.
Most of the travellers in the van belonged to minority community of Jhilsan village of Mehsana district and were returning after offering prayers at a Dargah in Radhanpur, when the mishap occurred, police said.
The deceased included 12 children and six women.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader