`Decision on Sangma`s plea will be taken as per Constitution`
Ahmedabad: Chief Election Commissioner VS Sampath on Monday said the decision on objections raised by opposition Presidential nominee PA Sangma against his rival Pranab Mukherjee`s candidature will be taken as per the procedures laid under the Constitution.
"Representatives of one of the presidential candidates Mr Sangma had come and met us on Saturday and reiterated their objections which they had put forward against the returning officer and added few more points," Sampath said replying to a query on the representation made by Sangma camp before the Election Commission.
"They were in a hurry and had forgot to bring a written submission. They were to file their written submission to us by today," Sampath said.
"Once we go through their written representation, we will take a decision as per law and as per the Constitution," the CEC said.
Sangma on Saturday had sought the Election Commission`s intervention for a fresh probe into his objections against Mukherjee`s candidature after levelling new allegations that the former Finance Minister was still holding two more office of profit.
The Returning Officer had earlier dismissed Sangma`s claims of Mukherjee holding the office of profit as the chairperson of the Kolkata-based Indian Statistical Institute (ISI).
Janata Party president Subramanian Swamy had claimed that Mukherjee continued to hold two more offices of profit - as Vice-President of Birbhum Institute of Engineering and Technology and Chairman of Rabindra Bharati Society, which forms parts of the Rabindra Bharati University.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Candid chat with 'Tamasha' stars Deekipa Padukone, Ranbir Kapoor
- Jabalpur woman commits suicide over Aamir Khan's 'intolerance row'
- Panel discussion on Rajnath Singh's remarks on secularism in Parliament
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!
- READ: New twist in Karisma Kapoor, Sunjay Kapur divorce saga!
- Tamasha movie review: Poignant and riveting; Ranbir's the master here!