`Decision on Sangma`s plea will be taken as per Constitution`
Ahmedabad: Chief Election Commissioner VS Sampath on Monday said the decision on objections raised by opposition Presidential nominee PA Sangma against his rival Pranab Mukherjee`s candidature will be taken as per the procedures laid under the Constitution.
"Representatives of one of the presidential candidates Mr Sangma had come and met us on Saturday and reiterated their objections which they had put forward against the returning officer and added few more points," Sampath said replying to a query on the representation made by Sangma camp before the Election Commission.
"They were in a hurry and had forgot to bring a written submission. They were to file their written submission to us by today," Sampath said.
"Once we go through their written representation, we will take a decision as per law and as per the Constitution," the CEC said.
Sangma on Saturday had sought the Election Commission`s intervention for a fresh probe into his objections against Mukherjee`s candidature after levelling new allegations that the former Finance Minister was still holding two more office of profit.
The Returning Officer had earlier dismissed Sangma`s claims of Mukherjee holding the office of profit as the chairperson of the Kolkata-based Indian Statistical Institute (ISI).
Janata Party president Subramanian Swamy had claimed that Mukherjee continued to hold two more offices of profit - as Vice-President of Birbhum Institute of Engineering and Technology and Chairman of Rabindra Bharati Society, which forms parts of the Rabindra Bharati University.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- Shameless cheating in exams, when will Bihar learn?
- Setback for Air India as 30 Boeing 787 Dreamliner pilots resign
- Sheena case: Indrani quizzed jointly with Peter, denies killing daughter
- Trade unions` strike hits normal life across India
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Modi effect! Pakistan-occupied Kashmir wants to be part of India
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news