`Decision on Sangma`s plea will be taken as per Constitution`
Ahmedabad: Chief Election Commissioner VS Sampath on Monday said the decision on objections raised by opposition Presidential nominee PA Sangma against his rival Pranab Mukherjee`s candidature will be taken as per the procedures laid under the Constitution.
"Representatives of one of the presidential candidates Mr Sangma had come and met us on Saturday and reiterated their objections which they had put forward against the returning officer and added few more points," Sampath said replying to a query on the representation made by Sangma camp before the Election Commission.
"They were in a hurry and had forgot to bring a written submission. They were to file their written submission to us by today," Sampath said.
"Once we go through their written representation, we will take a decision as per law and as per the Constitution," the CEC said.
Sangma on Saturday had sought the Election Commission`s intervention for a fresh probe into his objections against Mukherjee`s candidature after levelling new allegations that the former Finance Minister was still holding two more office of profit.
The Returning Officer had earlier dismissed Sangma`s claims of Mukherjee holding the office of profit as the chairperson of the Kolkata-based Indian Statistical Institute (ISI).
Janata Party president Subramanian Swamy had claimed that Mukherjee continued to hold two more offices of profit - as Vice-President of Birbhum Institute of Engineering and Technology and Chairman of Rabindra Bharati Society, which forms parts of the Rabindra Bharati University.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH