Defamation case filed against Sharia court in Ahmedabad
Ahmedabad: With the Supreme Court ruling that Sharia courts have no legal sanctity, a defamation case has been filed against such a forum here for issuing a public notice in connection with a marital dispute.
In his complaint before the metropolitan magistrate`s court, Yakubkhan Pathan alleged that a city-based Sharia court (Darul Qaza) summoned him and his son Firozkhan Pathan by putting out a notice in a newspaper.
The notice, dated June 13, warned that if they did not remain present, the court would dissolve Firozkhan`s marriage with his wife Lubna Vohra.
Lubna has filed a divorce petition, as also a case of domestic violence against Firoz and his family.
Yakub claims in his defamation plea filed yesterday that the Sharia court had no legal right to issue such a notice, and it was published only to defame him and his family "in nexus" with Lubna.
It also adds that the Sharia court passed an illegal order asking Firoz to grant his wife divorce, which was "insult of Indian legal system".
The court would hear the defamation case on July 16.
Yesterday, the Supreme Court said that Sharia courts have no legal sanctity and their rulings are not binding on anyone.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: Why no action against supporters at JNU?
- Afzal Guru row: Why no action against supporters at JNU?- Part V
- DNA: Analysis on Ishrat Jahan encounter case
- DNA: After JNU, anti-India slogans at Delhi’s Press Club of India
- Headley's revelations: Will politicos who termed Ishrat Jahan 'beti' now apologise?- Part II
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!