Defamation case filed against Sharia court in Ahmedabad
Ahmedabad: With the Supreme Court ruling that Sharia courts have no legal sanctity, a defamation case has been filed against such a forum here for issuing a public notice in connection with a marital dispute.
In his complaint before the metropolitan magistrate`s court, Yakubkhan Pathan alleged that a city-based Sharia court (Darul Qaza) summoned him and his son Firozkhan Pathan by putting out a notice in a newspaper.
The notice, dated June 13, warned that if they did not remain present, the court would dissolve Firozkhan`s marriage with his wife Lubna Vohra.
Lubna has filed a divorce petition, as also a case of domestic violence against Firoz and his family.
Yakub claims in his defamation plea filed yesterday that the Sharia court had no legal right to issue such a notice, and it was published only to defame him and his family "in nexus" with Lubna.
It also adds that the Sharia court passed an illegal order asking Firoz to grant his wife divorce, which was "insult of Indian legal system".
The court would hear the defamation case on July 16.
Yesterday, the Supreme Court said that Sharia courts have no legal sanctity and their rulings are not binding on anyone.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India