Dipda Darwaza riot case: Gujarat HC issues notices to 21 convicts
Ahmedabad: Gujarat High Court on Wednesday issued notices to 21 convicts who were awarded life term by a designated court last year in the post-Godhra Dipda Darwaza riot case on a petition filed by the SIT seeking condonation of delay in filing appeals against the verdict.
A division bench of Justices M R Shah and S H Vora also issued notices to 57 accused whose acquittal by the designated court in the case was challenged by the SIT earlier this month.
The bench posted further hearing on the petition to May 6.
In its verdict on July 30, 2012, the designated court judge S C Srivastava had awarded life imprisonment to 21 people and one year jail term to a retired police officer, while acquitting 61 of total 83 accused, including former BJP MLA Prahlad Gosa and ex-municipal president Dayabhai Patel, also of the same party.
Eleven persons, including nine women and children, were killed by a mob at Dipda Darwaza area in Visnagar town in Mehsana district during post-Godhra riots.
The SIT had challenged the designated court`s judgement earlier this month, beyond the stipulated time limit of 90 days, and also moved a separate application seeking the high court`s permission to grant delay.
Giving details of the appeal, Special Public Prosecutor Manisha Lavkumar said, "We have, in our appeal, challenged the acquittal of 57 accused by the special court. We have also demanded that 21 accused convicted in the case under the charges of 307 (attempt to murder) of the IPC should be convicted for murder (under section 302 of IPC)".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price