Dissolve Shah panel, allow Lokayukta to probe graft: Congress
Ahmedabad: Gujarat Congress demanded here on Thursday that Chief Minister Narendra Modi dissolve the M B Shah Commission so that the Lokayukta, which would be appointed by the Governor, could probe corruption charges against his government.
The Congress also demanded a change in the rule which says that the Lokayukta can take up only complaints which are five year old.
"Since the state cabinet has approved appointment of retired Justice D P Buch as Lokayukta on the recommendation of the chief justice of the Gujarat High Court, we will request the Governor to issue a warrant for his appointment soon," Leader of Opposition Shankarsinh Vaghela said.
"When the Lokayukta is being appointed after a gap of almost ten years, we demand two things from the Gujarat government.
"Firstly, they should dissolve commissions like M B Shah commission and other such things which are inquiring into allegations of corruption against this government. The law says that when a commission is appointed for inquiry in some allegations, those things cannot be probed by the Lokayukta," Vaghela said.
"Also, Lokayukta cannot probe allegations which are five years old. As the post was vacant for the last ten years, rules should be changed and the new Lokayukta should be allowed to probe corruption allegations of the last ten years," Vaghela said.
Yesterday, the Gujarat government recommended to Gujarat Governor Kamla Beniwal to appoint former high court judge D P Buch as Lokayukta of the state.
The Lokayukta`s post has been lying vacant since Justice R M Soni`s term expired in 2003.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why