Dissolve Shah panel, allow Lokayukta to probe graft: Congress
Ahmedabad: Gujarat Congress demanded here on Thursday that Chief Minister Narendra Modi dissolve the M B Shah Commission so that the Lokayukta, which would be appointed by the Governor, could probe corruption charges against his government.
The Congress also demanded a change in the rule which says that the Lokayukta can take up only complaints which are five year old.
"Since the state cabinet has approved appointment of retired Justice D P Buch as Lokayukta on the recommendation of the chief justice of the Gujarat High Court, we will request the Governor to issue a warrant for his appointment soon," Leader of Opposition Shankarsinh Vaghela said.
"When the Lokayukta is being appointed after a gap of almost ten years, we demand two things from the Gujarat government.
"Firstly, they should dissolve commissions like M B Shah commission and other such things which are inquiring into allegations of corruption against this government. The law says that when a commission is appointed for inquiry in some allegations, those things cannot be probed by the Lokayukta," Vaghela said.
"Also, Lokayukta cannot probe allegations which are five years old. As the post was vacant for the last ten years, rules should be changed and the new Lokayukta should be allowed to probe corruption allegations of the last ten years," Vaghela said.
Yesterday, the Gujarat government recommended to Gujarat Governor Kamla Beniwal to appoint former high court judge D P Buch as Lokayukta of the state.
The Lokayukta`s post has been lying vacant since Justice R M Soni`s term expired in 2003.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31