Don’t blame party for Kodnani’s act: BJP
Ahmedabad: Senior Gujarat BJP leader Yatin Oza on Wednesday chose to distance the party from the conviction of its sitting MLA Mayaben Kodnani in the Naroda Patiya riots case.
Speaking to a new channel, Oza opined that it is not correct to blame the BJP for the acts of one of its leader. The BJP has all along denied any involvement in the post-Godhra riots that rocked Gujarat in 2002 and termed it as a spontaneous act by mobs upset over the train burning incident.
“It is unfair to Gujarat BJP that it is questioned for the conviction of one leader,” Oza said while pointing out that the leaders of many other political parties have been convicted for various offences.
Further defending the party, Oza said, “Cannot a sitting MLA be part of a spontaneous incident?”
Oza also rejected suggestions that the verdict will have a bearing on party’s prospects in the upcoming Assembly elections in the state.
“We are going to contest elections of the good governance of Mr Modi and the progress Gujarat has done in the last 10 years and not on issues like this conviction,” he said.
A special court today convicted 32 people for the massacre of 97 people in Naroda Patiya locality during the 2002 riots.
Besides Kodnani and Bajrang Dal leader Babu Bajrangi was amongst those held guilty. The court also acquitted 29 people in the case.
On Feb 28, 2002, a total of 97 people were killed in the industrial locality of Naroda.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah Part II
- Uttarakhand: MBBS students builds toilets in a village in Rishikesh
- Digital detox helps to get rid of smartphones addiction
- Watch: Syrian boys crying, hugging each other after their brother is killed in airstrike
- Tata Motors profits fall on weak Jaguar Land Rover sales
- Russia to pay bonuses to athletes barred from Rio Olympics 2016
- Scorpene data leak unintentional, navy will address all concerns: Parrikar
- Day/Night Duleep Trophy: India Red crush India Green by 219 runs
- UEFA Europa League Draw: Groups, Fixtures, Top clashes – All you need to know!