Don`t resort to cheap gimmicks: Narendra Modi tells Sibal over `Aakash` tablets
Ahmedabad: Taking another swipe at Kapil Sibal over `Aakash` tablets, Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi on Sunday asked him not to indulge in "cheap gimmicks" and instead make honest efforts to deliver the promised device to the youths in the country.
Modi`s comments came after Sibal shot off a letter and two tablets to the Gujarat Chief Minister who had criticised the "delay" in delivery of `Aakash` to the students.
"Instead of cheap gimmicks, the minister (Sibal) should first inform the nation on his promise to provide Aakash tablet to 10 lakh (one million) youths in 2011!," tweeted Modi.
"In future, Mr Sibal should make honest effort to ensure delivery of good quality computing & access device to our youth," he said.
Reacting to Modi`s earlier criticism over "delay" in delivery of `Aakash`, Sibal had commented this week that "We have sent the devices (Aakash) to the chief minister (Modi). He lives in netherworld, I have shown him on land that Aakash is in your hand".
Sibal had sent a letter and two `Aakash` tablets to Modi saying "...Your statement has disappointed me. Education is a collaborative venture beyond the pale of politics and we need to work together in the best interest of the children of the country".
The war of words between Modi and Sibal began when the former criticised the poll promise of Gujarat Congress to give free laptops if voted to power.
Modi had said, "Kaash (if only), this Aakash tablet could land on earth the lies (promise of free laptops by state Congress) they (Congress) are spreading now, would hold some weight".
"No Aakash tablets have come down on earth even after 11 months (of promise by the Centre). Now I realise why the gizmo was named Aakash," the BJP leader had said earlier this month, punning on the word "Aakash" (sky).
`Aakash` project is a scheme of the Ministry of Human Resource and Development under which a million low cost tablet computers are planned to be distributed in the colleges.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video