Earthquake victims remembered in Kutch
Ahmedabad: Community leaders from 11
disaster affected countries of Asia paid homage to the victims
of January 26, 2001 Bhuj earthquake here.
United Nations` Development Programme (UNDP), National
Institute for Disaster Management (NIDM) and All India
Disaster Mitigation Institute (AIDMI) with key civil society
organisations had organised the event yesterday.
The earthquake in Gujarat state had claimed 50,000 lives
and devastated its main cities of Ahmedabad, Kutch and
"The Recovery of Gujarat is unique because it was mainly
lead by citizens where the government and NGOs chipped in.
There is not a single initiative since Gujarat earthquake
that is not influenced or shaped with a motive to rebuild
Gujarat," said Mihir Bhatt of AIDMI.
Women`s business leader from Nagris Cyclone affected
Myanmar saluted efforts of women to recover livelihoods with
support from organisations such as SEWA and KMVS (Kutch Mahila
Vikas Sangathan) while war widows of Afghanistan admired the
business spirit of traders from Kutch and support of GSDMA in
rebuilding four towns in record time, he added.
According to him, participants came from Myanmar,
Afghanistan, Indonesia, Bhutan, Nepal, Sri Lanka, Thailand,
Philippines, and Thailand.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi