Earthquake victims remembered in Kutch
Ahmedabad: Community leaders from 11
disaster affected countries of Asia paid homage to the victims
of January 26, 2001 Bhuj earthquake here.
United Nations` Development Programme (UNDP), National
Institute for Disaster Management (NIDM) and All India
Disaster Mitigation Institute (AIDMI) with key civil society
organisations had organised the event yesterday.
The earthquake in Gujarat state had claimed 50,000 lives
and devastated its main cities of Ahmedabad, Kutch and
"The Recovery of Gujarat is unique because it was mainly
lead by citizens where the government and NGOs chipped in.
There is not a single initiative since Gujarat earthquake
that is not influenced or shaped with a motive to rebuild
Gujarat," said Mihir Bhatt of AIDMI.
Women`s business leader from Nagris Cyclone affected
Myanmar saluted efforts of women to recover livelihoods with
support from organisations such as SEWA and KMVS (Kutch Mahila
Vikas Sangathan) while war widows of Afghanistan admired the
business spirit of traders from Kutch and support of GSDMA in
rebuilding four towns in record time, he added.
According to him, participants came from Myanmar,
Afghanistan, Indonesia, Bhutan, Nepal, Sri Lanka, Thailand,
Philippines, and Thailand.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note