EC raps Sidhu for Model Code violation during Guj
New Delhi: The Election Commission has reprimanded BJP MP Navjot Singh Sidhu for violating the Model Code of Conduct by making personal remarks against Prime Minister Manmohan Singh during the Gujarat poll campaign.
The Commission, in its order, issued today directed Sidhu to be more careful in future so that the provisions of Model Code are strictly adhered to and not violated.
Sidhu, while campaigning for BJP in Gujarat`s Junagadh district, had on November 29 last year made a speech where he made certain personal remarks against the Prime Minister and Gujarat Parivartan Party (GPP) president Keshubhai Patel.
"The Commission is satisfied that Navjot Singh Sidhu has violated the provisions of the Model Code of Conduct by making speech inciting communal/religious feeling and objectionable remarks on the private life of leaders of rival political parties."
"Now, therefore, the Election Commission hereby reprimands Navjot Singh Sidhu and directs that he should be careful in future so that provisions of Model Code of Conduct are strictly adhered to and not violated," the EC order reads.
The EC order also cites Sidhu`s remarks made against former Gujarat Chief Minister Keshubhai Patel.
The Commission`s reprimand came after Sidhu sought a copy of the CD of his speech and asked for more time, but did not reply to the Commission despite making requests. On his request, the poll body had directed the BJP MP time to reply by January 5.
"After considering all aspects of the case, the Commission has observed that Navjot Singh Sidhu is simply evading to give the reply and prolonging the matter by seeking extentions again and again and has nothing substantial to reply," the EC said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- CBSE (cbse.nic.in ) Class X results 2015: CBSE Class 10th Board results likely to be declared tomorrow on cbseresults.nic.in