EC seeks Gujarat DGP`s explanation for remark on force deployment
New Delhi: The Election Commission on Tuesday sought an explanation from the Gujarat Police chief for his reported comment about deployment of forces in the poll-bound state last week.
The Commission wrote to Gujarat Director General of Police (DGP) Chitranjan Singh, asking it to explain his position by today itself, after taking strong exception to his "irresponsible" statement on the heavy deployment of forces in Gujarat during polls.
The DGP, in his reply, has pleaded "not guilty" and said that there was "no intention on his part to undermine the dignity of Election Commission."
Singh was on December 10 quoted as saying that "we have ensured security of all candidates including high profile ones."
Assembly elections Gujarat will be held in two phases on December 13 and 17,
However, when asked on the heavy deployment of forces in the state, the DGP reportedly said, "the reason for such huge forces can be explained only by the Centre and the EC."
The Election Commission had taken strong exception to this as it cast aspersions on the Constitutional body and asked him to explain his position by today evening itself.
Elections for the 182-member Gujarat Assembly will be held in two phases on December 13 and 17.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read