EC seeks Gujarat DGP`s explanation for remark on force deployment
New Delhi: The Election Commission on Tuesday sought an explanation from the Gujarat Police chief for his reported comment about deployment of forces in the poll-bound state last week.
The Commission wrote to Gujarat Director General of Police (DGP) Chitranjan Singh, asking it to explain his position by today itself, after taking strong exception to his "irresponsible" statement on the heavy deployment of forces in Gujarat during polls.
The DGP, in his reply, has pleaded "not guilty" and said that there was "no intention on his part to undermine the dignity of Election Commission."
Singh was on December 10 quoted as saying that "we have ensured security of all candidates including high profile ones."
Assembly elections Gujarat will be held in two phases on December 13 and 17,
However, when asked on the heavy deployment of forces in the state, the DGP reportedly said, "the reason for such huge forces can be explained only by the Centre and the EC."
The Election Commission had taken strong exception to this as it cast aspersions on the Constitutional body and asked him to explain his position by today evening itself.
Elections for the 182-member Gujarat Assembly will be held in two phases on December 13 and 17.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof