EC ticks off Cong leader, religious head in Gujarat
New Delhi: After ordering an FIR against three Congress leaders and a religious head in Gujarat for making inflamatory speeches, the Election Commission Wednesday ticked off two of them for alleged violation of the Model Code while letting off another.
The Commission has reprimanded Congress leader Maksud A Kazi and local religious head Maulana Faiyaz Laturi for violating the Model Code by making inflammatory speeches and for inciting people by use of religion in Surat, while letting off another Congress leader Kadir Pirzada with a warning.
The Commission had registered FIRs against Kazi, general secretary of District Congress Minority Cell, Surat, Pirzada and another Congress leader Rizwan Usmani, besides Maulana Faiyaz Laturi under Sections 153A (promoting enmity on religious and other grounds), 295A (insulting religion)and 505(2) (promoting hatred among classes) of the IPC as well as under Section 125 of the Representation of People Act.
The Commission had sent notices to Pirzada, Kazi and Laturi to explain by October 29 why action should not be taken against them for violating the Model Code.
Pirzada and Laturi had, during a public meeting at Tadkeshwar in Mandvi of Surat district, made certain allegedly inflamatory speeches which were found to be objectionable by the Commission.
The Commission reprimanded Laturi for violation of the Model Code and hoped he would be more circumspect in his public utterances during election campaigns.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on how Pampore attack destabilized India's relation with Pakistan
- Panel discussion on how Pampore attack destabilized India's relation with Pakistan - Part II
- Panel discussion on how Pampore attack destabilized India's relation with Pakistan - Part III
- Hafiz Saeed warns of jihad to free Pak rivers from India
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- GAAR not to apply on income from investments before April 1
- PHOTO: Virat Kohli in his all new avatar!
- Working birthday for Arjun Kapoor, says Chetan Bhagat
- J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti says she 'felt ashamed as a Muslim', stirs controversy — Read details
- With 31% jump, HDFC's Aditya Puri top gainer in salary hike among private bank chiefs