EC ticks off Cong leader, religious head in Gujarat
New Delhi: After ordering an FIR against three Congress leaders and a religious head in Gujarat for making inflamatory speeches, the Election Commission Wednesday ticked off two of them for alleged violation of the Model Code while letting off another.
The Commission has reprimanded Congress leader Maksud A Kazi and local religious head Maulana Faiyaz Laturi for violating the Model Code by making inflammatory speeches and for inciting people by use of religion in Surat, while letting off another Congress leader Kadir Pirzada with a warning.
The Commission had registered FIRs against Kazi, general secretary of District Congress Minority Cell, Surat, Pirzada and another Congress leader Rizwan Usmani, besides Maulana Faiyaz Laturi under Sections 153A (promoting enmity on religious and other grounds), 295A (insulting religion)and 505(2) (promoting hatred among classes) of the IPC as well as under Section 125 of the Representation of People Act.
The Commission had sent notices to Pirzada, Kazi and Laturi to explain by October 29 why action should not be taken against them for violating the Model Code.
Pirzada and Laturi had, during a public meeting at Tadkeshwar in Mandvi of Surat district, made certain allegedly inflamatory speeches which were found to be objectionable by the Commission.
The Commission reprimanded Laturi for violation of the Model Code and hoped he would be more circumspect in his public utterances during election campaigns.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi