EC ticks off Cong leader, religious head in Gujarat
New Delhi: After ordering an FIR against three Congress leaders and a religious head in Gujarat for making inflamatory speeches, the Election Commission Wednesday ticked off two of them for alleged violation of the Model Code while letting off another.
The Commission has reprimanded Congress leader Maksud A Kazi and local religious head Maulana Faiyaz Laturi for violating the Model Code by making inflammatory speeches and for inciting people by use of religion in Surat, while letting off another Congress leader Kadir Pirzada with a warning.
The Commission had registered FIRs against Kazi, general secretary of District Congress Minority Cell, Surat, Pirzada and another Congress leader Rizwan Usmani, besides Maulana Faiyaz Laturi under Sections 153A (promoting enmity on religious and other grounds), 295A (insulting religion)and 505(2) (promoting hatred among classes) of the IPC as well as under Section 125 of the Representation of People Act.
The Commission had sent notices to Pirzada, Kazi and Laturi to explain by October 29 why action should not be taken against them for violating the Model Code.
Pirzada and Laturi had, during a public meeting at Tadkeshwar in Mandvi of Surat district, made certain allegedly inflamatory speeches which were found to be objectionable by the Commission.
The Commission reprimanded Laturi for violation of the Model Code and hoped he would be more circumspect in his public utterances during election campaigns.
- J&K: Teams named after militants in cricket tournament
- Laser walls activated along Indo-Pak border to keep vigil against terrorists
- Haji Ali Dargah row: Trupti Desai wants support of Aamir, Salman, SRK
- ISRO successfully launches IRNSS-1G into the orbit
- IRNSS-1G launch: It's a great gift to people of India from scientists, says PM Modi
- India deeply appreciates US' engagement in Asia-Pacific: Ashton Carter
- VVIP chopper scam: Ex-IAF chief SP Tyagi had admitted to meeting middleman Haschke
- F-16 fighter jets sold to Pakistan could be used against India: US lawmakers
- Fee hike: Schools will not budge with dharnas, submit a written complaint, Manish Sisodia tells parents
- Know what Shah Rukh Khan feels about PM Narendra Modi’s ‘Make In India’ initiative