Effigies of PM, JK CM burnt at APMCC protest
Ahmedabad: Protesters on Saturday burnt effigies of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah in Porbander over their "silence" on the indefinite hunger strike by a leader of a Kashmiri Hindu migrants` body.
All Parties Migrants Coordination Committee (APMCC) chairman Vinod Pandit is on an indefinite fast at Porbandar since January 30 in support of the outfit`s demands which include dialogue with Pakistan for facilitating visit to Shardha Peeth Temple in Pakistan-occupied-Kashmir.
"The fast that started on January 30 has entered 10th day and we have not received any official communication from either the Jammu and Kashmir government or the Union government whether they would look into our demands or not," APMCC national spokesperson King Bharati told PTI from Porbander.
"Protesters today burnt the effigies of Manmohan Singh and Omar Abdullah over their silence on the issue," he said, adding the protest would continue till a solution is found to the six-point charter of demands raised by the committee.
Other major demands of the outfit are establishment of Shardha Peeth University in Jammu and Kashmir, passing of the pending Kashmir Temples and Shrines Bill by J&K Assembly and a special employment package for nonmigrant Hindus. The bill seeks to set up a board to preserve temples and shrines.
APMCC`s Delhi unit had also organised a protest demonstration at Jantar Mantar yesterday to press the central and state government to start dialogue with Vinod Pandit and other members of the organisation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video