Effigies of PM, JK CM burnt at APMCC protest
Ahmedabad: Protesters on Saturday burnt effigies of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah in Porbander over their "silence" on the indefinite hunger strike by a leader of a Kashmiri Hindu migrants` body.
All Parties Migrants Coordination Committee (APMCC) chairman Vinod Pandit is on an indefinite fast at Porbandar since January 30 in support of the outfit`s demands which include dialogue with Pakistan for facilitating visit to Shardha Peeth Temple in Pakistan-occupied-Kashmir.
"The fast that started on January 30 has entered 10th day and we have not received any official communication from either the Jammu and Kashmir government or the Union government whether they would look into our demands or not," APMCC national spokesperson King Bharati told PTI from Porbander.
"Protesters today burnt the effigies of Manmohan Singh and Omar Abdullah over their silence on the issue," he said, adding the protest would continue till a solution is found to the six-point charter of demands raised by the committee.
Other major demands of the outfit are establishment of Shardha Peeth University in Jammu and Kashmir, passing of the pending Kashmir Temples and Shrines Bill by J&K Assembly and a special employment package for nonmigrant Hindus. The bill seeks to set up a board to preserve temples and shrines.
APMCC`s Delhi unit had also organised a protest demonstration at Jantar Mantar yesterday to press the central and state government to start dialogue with Vinod Pandit and other members of the organisation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Govt should stop discrimination against Muslims: Hamid Ansari
- DNA: How terrorists are trained by Pakistan Navy with help of ISI
- Indrani can do anything for money: Siddharth Das
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea charged with poisoning son Mikhail
- Former Pakistani spinner Arshad Khan now a taxi driver in Sydney!