Effigies of PM, JK CM burnt at APMCC protest
Ahmedabad: Protesters on Saturday burnt effigies of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah in Porbander over their "silence" on the indefinite hunger strike by a leader of a Kashmiri Hindu migrants` body.
All Parties Migrants Coordination Committee (APMCC) chairman Vinod Pandit is on an indefinite fast at Porbandar since January 30 in support of the outfit`s demands which include dialogue with Pakistan for facilitating visit to Shardha Peeth Temple in Pakistan-occupied-Kashmir.
"The fast that started on January 30 has entered 10th day and we have not received any official communication from either the Jammu and Kashmir government or the Union government whether they would look into our demands or not," APMCC national spokesperson King Bharati told PTI from Porbander.
"Protesters today burnt the effigies of Manmohan Singh and Omar Abdullah over their silence on the issue," he said, adding the protest would continue till a solution is found to the six-point charter of demands raised by the committee.
Other major demands of the outfit are establishment of Shardha Peeth University in Jammu and Kashmir, passing of the pending Kashmir Temples and Shrines Bill by J&K Assembly and a special employment package for nonmigrant Hindus. The bill seeks to set up a board to preserve temples and shrines.
APMCC`s Delhi unit had also organised a protest demonstration at Jantar Mantar yesterday to press the central and state government to start dialogue with Vinod Pandit and other members of the organisation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!