`Eight illiterates in fray for Guj Assembly polls`
Ahmedabad: A peep into the educational qualification of the candidates in fray for Gujarat Assembly elections reveals that eight are illiterate and 272 (56 per cent) of the 482 candidates analysed are matric pass or below, as per an analysis of National Election Watch.
National Election Watch (NEW), an NGO, conducted an analysis based on the educational background of the candidates in fray.
NEW has analysed 482 candidates out of total 846 who are contesting the phase one polls, in which they found that eight were illiterate, 42 literate, 48 class 5th pass, 75 class 8th pass, 99 class 10th pass, 60 class 12th pass, besides, 72 are graduates, 45 graduate professionals, 19 post graduates and three Ph.D holders.
BSP candidate from Jamnagar rural, Dodepautra Hajibhai, was found to be illiterate. The party candidate from Mangrol, Mori Nathabhia, was also illiterate, besides two independent candidates and one of LJSP from Mahuva constituency, Mer Lakhabhai, as per NEW report.
A party wise analysis of the educational background of candidates reveals, BSP has fielded maximum candidates (19) who are 5th pass, followed by Keshubahi-led Gujarat Parivartan Party (6), Samajwadi Party (5), besides 9 independents.
BSP candidates from Sanand, Junagadh and Tankara, amongst others are 5th pass, while those contesting on SP ticket from Nandod and Jamnagar rural are with similar qualifications, as per NEW report.
GPP has the highest number of candidates (18) who are 8th pass, followed by BJP (10), BSP (8), INC (8), besides 14 independent candidates.
BJP has fielded a maximum of 21 candidates who are just matric pass, followed by BSP (20), GPP (19), INC (16), besides 14 independent candidates.
Gujarat goes to polls on December 13 and 17, while counting will take place on December 20.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Why did Indrani Mukerjea attempt suicide?
- Dadri lynching: Locals stop Arvind Kejriwal from entering Bisara village
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves