Eight women die due to suffocation in Rajkot
Rajkot: Eight women died due to suffocation while four others were admitted to a hospital during a cultural programme in an overcrowded hall in the district on Sunday, police said.
The incident took place during a feast of Levua Patel
community at the Gopalnathji haveli in Dhoraji town, they
The hall was overcrowded, leading to suffocation, Rajkot
district Superintendent of Police (rural) D N Patel said,
adding it was not a case of stampede.
He said five to six women have been admitted to the
hospital after they complained of breathing problems.
Patel said investigation to find the exact cause of the
mishap was on.
Meanwhile, Rajkot district collector has ordered an
magisterial inquiry into the entire incident.
"We have ordered a magisterial inquiry into the incident
that took place at Dhoraji," Rajkot collector HS Patel said.
Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi expressed grief over
the incident and extended his condolences to the relatives of
the deceased, a CMO spokesperson said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Former CM Panneerselvam demands secret voting in Tamil Nadu Assembly
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Exclusive: In conversation with Rajnath Singh, Union Home Minister
- DMK, Congress will vote against government formation in Tamil Nadu
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- Pakistan Senate passes Hindu Marriage Bill
- This video of Brett Lee's 143m six is taking internet by storm – Watch Video
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley