Eight women die due to suffocation in Rajkot
Rajkot: Eight women died due to suffocation while four others were admitted to a hospital during a cultural programme in an overcrowded hall in the district on Sunday, police said.
The incident took place during a feast of Levua Patel
community at the Gopalnathji haveli in Dhoraji town, they
The hall was overcrowded, leading to suffocation, Rajkot
district Superintendent of Police (rural) D N Patel said,
adding it was not a case of stampede.
He said five to six women have been admitted to the
hospital after they complained of breathing problems.
Patel said investigation to find the exact cause of the
mishap was on.
Meanwhile, Rajkot district collector has ordered an
magisterial inquiry into the entire incident.
"We have ordered a magisterial inquiry into the incident
that took place at Dhoraji," Rajkot collector HS Patel said.
Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi expressed grief over
the incident and extended his condolences to the relatives of
the deceased, a CMO spokesperson said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez